Chapter 3

Chapter 3
Setting Into the Horizon

I walk around the hallway with bare soles to reach the kitchen. My parents might hear my footsteps. That's why I am being careful. I plan to go for an all-nighter; I need to have plenty of water and snacks to keep myself alive. I refilled the jug I brought down from my room and opened the refrigerator. I took some of the snacks I've been craving: cashew nuts, a bar of chocolate, cookies, and a bottle of sweetened coffee.

Parang nag grocery lang ako sa lagay ko na 'to. I tiptoed my way back to my room. Nalampasan ko ang kwarto ng mga magulang ko and I could hear them whispering but in a manner that they were trying not to let me hear them. They seemed to be fighting as I could hear a faint anger in my father's voice. Hindi madaling magalit si Daddy pero iba ngayon.

I couldn't understand a word they were saying, so I tried to get closer to the door.

"Samuel!" Mom called for Dad's name.

"Selena, I'm tired of this conversation. I already explained myself." It was Dad who spoke this time. His voice... it seemed different. It was colder.

I walked back into my room and sat on the chair. It was a bit messy looking around at my room—books on the floor and spread out printed and photocopied papers on my study table. At this point in my life, I ask myself why I always want to excel in everything. Why am I so hungry for being on top of the class?

I love productivity. I like challenging myself in situations that may or may not drive me to the edge. Not to mention I'm a perfectionist. This is why I think I am never delighted because, in my head, I wish I could do better.

Academic validation is what makes me happy. I revolve and surround myself with knowledge because that's when I feel complete. I hate to admit it, but I am so tired to the bone. My nose once bled because of too much exhaustion. I had no one to help me. That time, Mom and Dad were also arguing just right outside of my room. It was suffocating me- for not even having someone help me with something so simple.

I sighed heavily.

While lost in my thoughts, my cell phone screen lit up and showed the name of people who I most treasured. They were requesting a video call on our group chat. Shei's face welcomed me when I answered the call.

I moved my index finger close to my lips to ask her not to create a noise. I took my wired earphones out of my drawer and connected them to my phone. Aside from Shei, Kian, Asha, and Ry also entered the call. I tried my best not to laugh loudly at their faces.

I rested my back on the chair and just listened to the three nagging at Shei. It was visible that their sleep was interrupted by the call.

Meeting these people was not actually part of the plan. I met them online while searching for groups I could join to teach me how to play guitar. We are from different countries and cities, but I don't even remember why we all suddenly became friends. One day, after I woke up, they had already created a group chat with the five of us there. It happened so suddenly.

Nothing much happened that night. Kian just played his guitar while Shei and I were both studying. Asha went back to sleep but left her phone on for the call. On the other hand, Ry started playing a game on her iPad. The three went back to sleep around one in the morning. Shei and I stayed up late until three.

After organizing the things I would be bringing to school tomorrow, my back finally kissed the soft mattress of my bed. Shei, Asha, Ry, and Kian saved me a couple of times already without them knowing. I smiled and sent a good night message to our group chat before I uttered my prayers and went to sleep.