Chapter 8

Chapter 8
Setting Into the Horizon

I passed through the kitchen door with my hands placed on both of my cheeks, hiding any signs of redness. I can feel the heat rushing under my skin. Tumigil ako sa sulok at pakiramdam ko ang tibok ng puso ko. Placing my hand on my chest, I can feel the smooth and regular rhythm of my heart in between each beat. It was way calmer than before.

I sighed out of relief.

Nothing was broken. The guitar was okay. The jars were still in their places. No one was hurt. Ang buong akala ko ay matutumba si Hannah. In fact, she remained standing. She did some slick movements to make everyone think she's about to make a big impact on the floor. Everyone fell for her trick including me; except West of course. He's quick to grab my arm and not let me fall. He studies everyone inside his mind. As if he has some sort of a divider for each person he gets to meet.

I snapped out of my thoughts when Nanay Rosing entered the kitchen. She saw at the corner and asked, "Anak, iinitin ko na ba 'tong ulam na niluto mo?"

Tumango ako bilang sagot. Ako na kasi ang nagluto ng uulamin namin para sa dinner. I'm confident in cooking adobo but earlier, I asked Nanay to teach me how to cook sinigang na baboy. It was much easier than I thought. Nanay Rosing tasted it first at pasado raw sa kanya ang lasa kahit na 'yon ang una kong try sa pagluluto ng sinigang. I ended up cooking two more ulam because I was happy so that makes a total of 3 dishes. Siguro naman ay mabubusog na ang mga kaklase ko dito.

Tinawag na rin ni Nanay Rosing si Ate Alma para ihanda na ang hapag-kainan namin. Tutulong na sana ako pero hindi naman ako pinayagan ni Ate, kaya umakyat nalang ako sa kwarto ko para mag shower at magpalit ng damit. Hannah saw me walking upstairs so she followed me from behind, carrying three duffle bags. Tinanong niya ako last time kung okay lang daw ba sa akin na doon na siya sa kwarto ko matutulog kaya pumayag na rin ako. Ako lang naman mag-isa doon eh.

"Woah! Ang laki ng kwarto mo, Koa!" Hannah exclaimed right after I opened the door. Pinauna ko siyang pinapasok sa loob. I helped her carry one bag and I placed on top of my bed.

"Hannah, your room is way bigger than mine." I replied. I once went to their house when we were still in junior high to do a school project and I can say that her room is twice the size of my bedroom. She has a movie theatre inside of her room! And here she is, amazed with the size and shape of my bedroom.

Hannah pretended she didn't hear what I just said. Lumakad ito papalit sa book shelf ko. Her fingers gracefully touches the hardbound of each book.

"You sure read a lot," she murmured. Hinayaan ko nalang muna siya mag ikot-ikot sa loob ng kwarto ko. Hindi na rin ako nagsayang ng oras at pumasok na sa toilet room.

After I was done, I went out of the shower wearing a cotton short and a sweatshirt. I was drying my hair with a towel when I saw Hannah sitting on the air bed set beside my bed. "Bakit ka nandyan? You should place your things on my bed." ang sabi ko. Hannah looked up with a surprise expression visible over her face.

"Saan ba ako matutulog? Hindi dito?" halos pabulong na niyang tanong.

I shook my head as an answer. "No, you'll be sleeping on the bed. Tabi tayong tatlo ni Ericka. Mia and Lex will be sleeping on the air bag." Nakita ko kung paano umangat ang gilid ng labi nito pero nag-iwas ako ng tingin at umupo na harapan ng salamin.

"Okay, Koa!" Hannah excitedly vacated the air bag. She placed her sleeping clothes on my bed, her towel placed over her right shoulder. She was humming a song before she entered the bathroom.

I heaved a sigh. Okay, Koa. You're doing good! It's a progress.

I complimented myself and tapped myself on my shoulder.