Chapter 9

Chapter 9
Setting Into the Horizon

"Elle and West?" I shouted for their names. It was so crowded here backstage and for some reason I couldn't find the two.

"Here!" si Hannah na ang nagtawag sa atensyon ko. They were sitting beside each other along with the other actors.

"That's good! Stay where you are okay? I'll check the props first. Don't leave here." I said, my voice a little higher than usual.

I was about to turn my back to them when a hand held me on my wrist. "Maupo ka kaya muna?" Hannah asked. She let me sit in the space between her and West. Kanina pa kasi ako pabalik-balik. There was a slight problem with the audios we've prepared and may nawawalang props pa kanina so I went home to go check for it.

Ericka was the one hosting the event along with the other section representative, so I have no one to ask for assistance.

"Oh," Hannah handed me a bottle of water. Tinanggap ko 'yon dahil kanina pa ako nauuhaw.

I put my hair into a bun first and I removed my blazer. Sobrang init pa naman. Why did I even bother to wear this? Of course to look good.

I went to open the lid but I was having a hard time. Namamawis na rin kasi ang mga kamay ko.

"Let me," West uttered, extending his hand. Ibinigay ko ang hawak na tubig sa kanya and he opened it so easily.

I muttered 'thanks' before I straight up drank all the water. Tumayo na rin ako kaagad pagkatapos maupo ng ilang minuto. "Gotta go," I said, holding up the clipboard in my hand.

Lumabas ako to check the status of the other section's play. I met eyes with Ericka who was standing at the far corner of the stage. She mouthed, "malapit na," meaning matatapos na ang play any time soon.

Bumalik ako sa likod and I saw Chester double checking the props. Nag-usap lang kami ng ilang minuto bago ko narinig ang mga palakpakan. I run at the backstage just to make sure everyone else is ready.

When I reached the place I noticed that the actors were a bit panicking. Except for West who was standing still in the corner, his eyes fixed on something on the table.

"Ate," Elle approached me. She called me ate because apparently, I was a year older than her.

"Bakit? May nangyari ba?" ang tanong ko. Her eyes were filled with concern, I noticed how her eyebrows met in a way that even her forehead was in creased.

She led me to their place. I went through the other actors and when I came face to face with Hannah, she was covering her mouth. My eyes then traveled to West. He was still dazed, I went over to him, gently tapping his shoulder.

Napunta ang atensyon niya sa akin and for some reason, I couldn't read his aura. His lips were pressed in a thin line.

My eyes landed on what was on the table. I have a slight idea of what's happening, but now that I came face-to-face with it, I felt like my heart dropped and broke into millions of pieces. The strings were broken, not just one but 3 of its strings popped.

Nagulat man ay, hindi ko na lang 'yon pinahalata. I waited for West to speak but it didn't came. I heard snickering not far from where I was standing. The other section were gossiping about what happened. Nagtama ang tingin namin ng isa nilang actor and they wear quick to disperse. Hindi ko akalain na uso pa pala ang ganitong mga tactics. This play isn't even a contest!

As the director of our section, I did not let my madness eat me whole, instead, I went to grab my phone from my pocket and typed a message.

Me: We have a problem.