Chapter 16

Chapter 16
Setting Into the Horizon

West Rymer

Worry flushed over my face the moment Sorin fell on my arms.

"Sorin," I tried waking her up. Her unconscious body felt light and cold against my skin. My jacket that was wrapped around her shoulder fell freely to her side. I adjusted the jacket on her and zipped it up to keep her warm. I immediately took my phone out of my pocket to call Hannah. She answered the call after two rings. Hannah didn't say much after I told her what happened but the way she inhales violently, I can say that she is also worried about Sorin.

I dropped the call after a few minutes. Careful enough, I lifted Sorin in my arms. One arm around her back and the other on her bent knees. I stared at her face, her skin looking even paler under the moonlight. The cold wind swept past us so I began walking away from the shore, also bringing Sorin closer to my body.

Panicked was evident on Ericka and Hannah's face as soon as they saw me approaching them. Their gaze fell on Sorin whom I was still carrying in my arms. Ericka went inside the cottage and after a few seconds, Miss Rafols went out. She has the same expression as the two.

The moment I stepped on the doorway of the cottage, Sorin's friends ran to me to check on their friend. The two were quick and the next second, they swiftly took Sorin away from me, Miss Rafols following them from behind. My eyes worriedly followed Sorin's back until they all went inside the cottage, closing the door before my face. And my hands were left mid air as if I was still carrying her.

Bumagal ang paghinga ko. Now, I don't need to worry anymore because I know she's in safe hands. I stared blankly at the door for a few minutes before I decided to walk down. Naagaw agad ng tingin ko si Mama na alam kong kanina pa nakamasid sa amin. Tipid siyang ngumiti sa akin at agad niyang hinawakan ng mahigpit ang kamay ko.

"Don't worry, anak. She will be fine," Mama uttered, her assuring smile put me back on the right track.

And that night, I slept without too much of a worry.

Morning came in an instant, the first thing I did after I finished preparing for the last day of the retreat was to go and check out Sorin. I wanted to see if she had already woken up but before I could even step down from our cottage, I already saw her sitting along with her friends, a warm cup of milk in her hands.

I stopped in my tracks and observed her from afar, her skin glowed under the sunlight, and the wind tossed her hair in a graceful manner. She placed the mug first on the wooden table and she tied her hair up in a bun. As if she knew I was looking at her, her gaze lifted and our eyes instantly met. I wanted to ask how she was feeling, but I just couldn't bring myself up to do it.

Sorin might have a talent for reading my mind when she mouthed, "I'm okay," and smiled, her perfectly white teeth showing. I felt my eyes squinted. Because I know for sure she's lying. Her smile didn't reach her eyes like it always did.

Even if I wasn't satisfied with her answer, I nodded my head at her and brought myself back to the cottage to pack my things because we will be leaving shortly after everyone has eaten their breakfast.

Nang mailagay ko na ang maliit na luggage sa compartment ng bus, lumapit na rin ako kaagad kay Mama at nagpaalam. She will be riding a different bus that I heard it was Sorin's mom who sponsored. While on my way back to our bus, my eyes focuses on the person staring blankly outside of the window. I followed her line of vision and saw Hannah with her mom.

I don't know if I saw that right but her eyes showed the familiar emotion she held last night.

Pain.

But when my gaze went back to Sorin, she had already looked away.