Chapter 4

Chapter 4
Setting Into the Horizon

Golden rays of the morning tide come as invitations to the day. Waves of people chatter as if they are like a birdsong. Our booth was so busy as we got the room right before the entrance gate.

Everyone started falling in line, boys, girls, and other sexualities; they all flooded in just to send a message to their crushes, friends, or even someone special. Students from different schools also went to celebrate and experience the booths. So we already expected this many people.

Ericka was in charge of reading the letters. And me? I'm here collecting the payments for the students' messages.

"Hi! We accept payments here, and each 1/4 page costs five pesos." I didn't bother to look up to the next customer as I was busy counting the change of the last customer before I gave it to her. The guy in front of my desk cleared his throat, so it got my attention. "Yes?" I asked, with both of my eyebrows raising.

"I'll buy a page, miss." sagot nito bago kagat-labing ngumiti.

I scanned the guy from his head down to his waist area and noticed that he was wearing a different uniform. He was wearing a uniform from a school not far away from us. If I could still remember, we are only a city apart. "Okay. Ahmm... That'll be five pesos. Since we just opened, we didn't really have that much change, so if you have a small bill or a coin, we'd much appreciate that." I replied, and the guy nodded. I took a page of paper and a pen from a box near me to give to the guy.

Sige pa rin ito sa paghahanap ng kung ano sa loob ng bag niya. Kinuha nito ang ilang notebooks na dala at pinahawak muna sa kaibigan. His friends behind him, started laughing because some of his belongings fell to the ground but he didn't mind.

"Finally!" He showed it to me when he finally found his wallet and shyly smiled. So, I smiled back. He looks kind of cute. Then I heard teasing from his friends.

"Here you go. You can write your message here and it's up to you if you want to put your name or to remain anonymous." Inabot ko ang hawak na papel at ballpen sa lalaki bago bumalik sa pagkakaupo. "Then after writing your message, you'll pass the paper to that lady right there." tinuro ko ang pwesto ni Ericka.

Tanging tango lang ang binigay ng lalaki bago lihim na ngumiti. Inabot nito ang hawak na 50 pesos. "Wala ho ba kayong kahit small bill lang?" tanong ko. Binilang ko ang pera na nasa loob ng hawak kong wallet at hindi kasya ang sukli kasi kakabukas lang namin at merong nagbigay kanina ng isang daan at naubos agad ang sukli naming nakahanda.

My gaze came back to the guy, "Wala miss eh. Eto na lang dahil ikaw ang pinakamagandang babae na nakita ko ngayong araw, keep the change nalang." The guy's friends started teasing us two with his sudden pick up lines. Pati na rin ang mga nasa likod na naka linya ay napatawa at sumabay rin sa panunukso.

"Koa, ke-aga aga may nabingwit ka na kaagad!" sigaw ni Hannah sa likod. Nakisabay na rin ang iba kong kaklase. Ramdam ko ang pamumula ng pisngi ko. Hindi ko magawang mag-akyat ng tingin sa lalaki. Inabot ko ang bayad nito at aksidente pang nagtama ang mga kamay namin. Mas lalo tuloy umingay ang kantyawan. "T-thank you," tanging sagot ko.

Umalis na rin pagkatapos ang grupo at naghanap ng mauupuan para makasulat. Halos sabay lang din kaming umalis ni Ericka sa kina-uupan namin para mag sub ang iba naming kaklase.

Nag-ayang pumunta ng cafeteria si Ericka at sumabay na rin ako. Matagal pa bago kami makabili ng makakain dahil ang daming bumibili na estudyante. I bought a bread and a soda to drink. Nagpabili na rin si Hannah ng kakainin niya kaya hinintay nalang ako ni Ericka sa labas dahil masyadong maraming tao at nag kaka siksikan na.

After I finally got out of the crowded cafeteria, I immediately saw Ericka standing under the shade of the pavement-side tree. "There are so many people!" I complained, wiping the sweat off my forehead. Ericka chuckled after she saw me struggling with the things I bought. And dami kasing pinabili ni Hannah, parang dadalhin niya nga ang mga ito sa field trip. Ericka helped me with some of the drinks I was holding.