Chapter 20

Chapter 20
Setting Into the Horizon

I didn't pass.

We had a quiz in biology earlier. I made my way in front to give my paper to Mrs. Dana. She took the paper from me and scanned my score for a few seconds. Nag-angat ang tingin niya mula sa papel na hawak at napunta sa akin. Her eyebrows met in the middle, then she shook her head after.

I knew I did not do a good job. Hindi ako pumasa sa passing score and that was very rare of me. Kahit ako ay hindi makapaniwala sa natanggap kong score. I failed myself.

Bumalik ako sa upuan pagkatapos at yumuko na lang.

Mrs. Dana stood up from her seat, holding a stack of papers, "Students, didn't I mention that we will be having a quiz today?" she asked.

Sumagot ang lahat ng oo, ako nga lang siguro ang hindi. Nakalimutan ko ang tungkol doon. Hindi nga ako masyadong nakatulog kagabi sa rami ng iniisip ko.

"Pero bakit may hindi pa rin naka-pasa? I told you to review, didn't I?" she asked once again, traveling her eyes around until it reached my direction.

Sa sobrang kahihiyan, hindi ko magawang umiwas ng tingin, dahil tama si Mrs. Dana. Nasa parte ko ang mali. I didn't review.

"I will let this pass because this is the first time this has happened," Hindi pa rin umaalis ang titig ni Mrs. Dana sa akin. "Do better next time," she said to the whole class, but I know it was meant for me.

Mrs. Dana left the room soon after. Buong klase ay wala ako sa sarili, wala akong participation, recitation at alam kong nararamdaman na ni Hannah 'yon. She's my seatmate. I know she wanted to ask me but she chose to close her mouth, thinking it'll ruin my mood more.

I'm thankful though, because I really don't have the energy to talk. I didn't want anyone to know what happened the night of my birthday, ayaw ko rin na mas makaistorbo pa sa kanila dahil sa sarili kong mga problema. I'll choose to keep it all to myself.

***

The next morning, I immediately got off my bed and went straight to Daddy's study room, with my pajamas still on. Pagkalabas na pagkalabas ko sa kwarto ko ay ramdam ko na kaagad ang tensyon. The house is quieter than usual, nakasalubong ko pa si Ate Alma na nanggaling mula sa kwarto ni Mommy, tipid lang nito akong nginitian bago siya bumaba ng hagdan.

Sandali ko lang na tinitigan ang pinto ng kwarto nila Mommy tsaka nagmadaling kumatok sa study room. Walang sumagot sa akin kaya inimbitahan ko na lang ang sarili ko na pumasok.

I saw Dad sitting on his swivel chair, his back facing me. When he heard my footsteps, he looked back and that's when I noticed that he was holding his phone near his ear. Napawi ang ngiti niya ng makita ako.

Dad cleared his throat before he said his goodbye to the person he's talking to. My eyebrows instantly met when I noticed his unusual voice, it seemed much sweeter than the voice he's using when he's talking to his daughter-to me.

But I let that thought be washed away as I came here to ask the questions I've been meaning to ask. The questions that kept bothering me last night.

Dad placed his phone, the screen facing down. "Shouldn't you knock on the door first?" he asked, a bit of irritation in his voice.

My mouth parted for a slight second. "I did, Dad. You weren't answering kaya naisip ko po na baka napano o baka wala ka dit"

"Maupo ka.'' He instructed me to sit on the couch in front of him. "What do you want, Koa?" Daddy started, scanning the work papers placed on top of his table.