Chapter Three

Amara pov

"So you have your own bakery?" Dante asks.

"Yes, I took a loan from the bank to open it. I've almost paid it off" I say smiling.

Everyone continues chatting and laughing and I can't help but miss the days where I used to sit around the table with my family.

Someone gently touches my hand and I turn to see Leonardo. I give him a gentle nod and we continue eating. I look up and see Stefano staring at me, I give him a smile which he returns.

Dinner continues with everyone conversing and laughing.

________

"I can drive you home" Stefano says.

Almost everyone already left and it's only me, Stefano, Dante and Aria.

"No that's fine, I'll call an Uber, besides this is your house. You don't need to go through all that trouble for me" I say smiling.

"We can take you" Dante says.

"No guys, I'll take her. You guys can go" Stefano says.

He gives Dante a look and Dante takes Aria's hand.

"It was nice meeting Amara, I hope I see more of you" Dante says before throwing a wink? To Stefano?

They leave and I take out my phone to call the Uber. Stefano suddenly grabs my phone and smiles at me.

"I said I'll take you Mara" he says.

"But-"

"No buts, I'm taking you home. End of discussion." he says

We hear Marco cry and I glance at Stefano for permission, he nods his head and I head up the stairs.

I walk in to see a sleepy looking Marco, rubbing his eyes. He spots me and lifts up his arms tiredly.

" Mamma" he says.

I freeze for a second before walking to him and picking him up. It must have slipped out. Wait, why wasn't his mom here tonight anyways? Mmm...

I walk down the stairs with Marco holding my dress tightly and his head in my neck.

"Look who's keeping papà up tonight" Stefano says chuckling.

I smile and kiss Marco's head.

"My little chocolate chipie?" I whisper.

"Mmm?" he hums.

"Mara has to go now, okay?" I say quietly.

"No, mamma stay" he says stubbornly.

Stefano looks stunned at Marco before his eyes travel to mine. I smile softly to reassure him. Stefano clears his throat and steps forward to take Marco, however he just tightens his hold on me.

"Marco, she's not your mamma. Come." Stefano says sternly.

I don't know why I feel a pang in my heart after he said that. Marco starts crying and I move around to shush him. He finally opens his arms to his dad and Stefano takes him gently.

"Where mamma?" he asks his dad.

"Mamma's gone, Figlio" Stefano says with an angry, hurt look in his eyes.

I take my coat from the hanger and turn to the front door.

"Amara, I said I'm taking you and that's final" Stefano says with that stern voice he used on Marco.

"Mawa, home?" Marco asks.

"Yes champ, but we're taking her okay?" Stefano says before kissing his son's head.