25

I walk into the apartment. The stench of alcohol mixed with smoke fills my senses.

I walk in to find Reece sitting on the couch by himself. In his hand is a cigarette, and sitting on the coffee table is four empty beer bottles.

"Reece what are you doing?" I ask worriedly.

He gestures towards the empty bottles, gives me a smirk then brings the cigarette up to his mouth; inhales, then exhales white wisps of smoke.

"Why do you smoke Reece?" I ask,

He looks up at me from in-between the white wisps of twirling smoke that circle around him.

"Lydia do you know how long I've lived on this earth?" He asks me his voice emotionless.

"A really long time?"

"Yes a really long time, and I'm sick of it"

"Of the earth?"

"Of living" he states simply his voice drained of emotion.

I stare at him wide eyed.

"It's a race sweetheart, between me and the earth, to see who's going to die first"

I watch him in silent shock at his words.

As I stare at his face I realize that the cocky, sarcastic, overconfident, 'I don't need anybody', crazy hot vampire thing is all just for show.

He's just broken. He's experienced way too much for an "18" year-old.

He's a depressed, confused, insecure, crazy hot vampire that doesn't want to let anybody in.
He's so broken, I think sadly to myself.

Then he brings the cigarette back up to his mouth and exhales another white wisp of smoke.
I turn as quickly as I can and walk right back out the way I came in.
Giving him no time to trash himself in front of me.

⋆⋆⋆

"Lydia?" A familiar deep voice comes from behind me,

"Yes?" I ask, turning from my painting to face Nick.

"You busy this weekend?"

"Mm depends what your about to ask?"

"Wanna hang out on Friday night after my shift at the studio?" He asks confidently.

Is he asking me out?

"Um sure" I reply slowly, my heart racing.

"Great! Your friends won't mind?"

"Why would my friends mind?" I ask curiously,

He pauses caught of guard.

"You know just incase their were any other ... plans",

"Nope nothing else planned".

"Great!" He says happily,

"Great" I echo with a slight smile.

"Ok well, see you on Friday then" and with that he walks out of the room.

My first date and all I can think about is if a certain "friend" of mine will be jealous ...

Automatically I call Carter.

"Hello?" His voice answers on the second ring,

"Carter?"

"Yeah? What's up?" He asks popping the "p".

"I'm going on a date on Friday"

"With Reece?" He asks with a groan,

"Um no"

"Jordan?"

"... No"

"Are you f**king with me right now?" He asks suspiciously.

"Um ... no" I reply awkwardly,

"Is this person a blood-sucking, ancient creature?"

"No Cart. He's human ... I think"

"You think?!"

"Yes I think, he works at the studio and he's really nice".

There's no answer for a minute before his voice comes back,

"I could hug you right now." he states happily, then adds "I'm happy for you Lyd just be careful" I hear the smile in his voice through the phone.

"I will don't worry"

"Alright, I'll see you later then" and with that the line goes silent.

⋆⋆⋆

"It's a race sweetheart".

That one simple sentence causes a shiver to run down my spine.

Is he trying to find a way to die?

He's never really seemed depressed like that before ... Then again he has had centuries of learning to mask his heart and mind from the world.

"To see who's going to die first", my mind hums as it digests each word.
He better not die on me, everyone that I love seems to die on me.

I've only even had him in my life for about seven months,
but now that I've tasted a life with the boys I can NEVER imagine a life, let alone a world without a single one of them.
I may have some unresolved feelings for both Reece and Jordan but I do know where I stand with them all as a trio.
It's quite simple really, they own a piece of my heart, and I never want that to change.

I can try as much as I want but I'll never rid myself of the; white-haired, kind, beautiful, freckled boy with the pretty blue eyes.
Or the one with the striking features, raven-black hair, bottomless-bright-blue eyes, and mysterious soul.
As well as the white-haired, quite funny, pretty-boy whom with I share a sibling-like bond.

The trio of vampires that have entered, and taken over my life are really all I have other than Carter.

And for these reasons I can't let Reece think that I don't care, and if he truly wants less time, then I'll help him find a way to make that possible.