02

"Gosh Lydia, you're really pale," A familiar voice states.

I look up.

Dark, wavy locks frame the smiling face that I know so well.

"Carter," I breathe.

He walks across the room towards me, pulling me into a bear hug.

Carter has been my best friend since sixth grade.

I'd been sitting with a couple of my classmates when a dark, brunette haired boy had sat in front of me smirking. I had smiled back in confusion. He had then leant forward as if to say something but then- the dang kid grabbed my sandwich. MY SANDWICH!

Since then, he's been my best friend... not because he stole my sandwich but because he stuck around and after awhile the annoyance of him following and bugging me, faded. He even transformed from a sandwich thief, to a brother-like figure in my life.

He releases me from the hug but stays close, taking a seat at the end of my hospital bed.

"Did they tell you when they're planning to let me out?" I ask.

Carter rolls his eyes," Lydia you were just in a serious car accident where your sister-"

Died

The foul word hangs in the air between us.

I look down, "I know but staying here, in the hospital-- it doesn't help. It only makes it w-worse," I whisper.

Carter looks at me sadly, his eyes tell me what his mouth won't; I'm sorry.

The phrase that I don't want to hear right now, especially coming from him.

I don't need pity.

I've heard the nurses countless whispers in the hallway:
"She's an orphan now", "She has no one left". "When are they going to kick her out? We need the space".

"When are they going to let me go back to school?" I ask him.

His jaw drops, "Did you seriously just ask me that?" I nod.

"Well I guess whenever you're ready," He replies unsurely.

I jump up, "All I have to do is say I'm ready?" I ask. He purses his lips before nodding, "Yes but-" he pauses, "Lydia are you sure?" He looks at me seriously.

"Yesss".

Summer vacation had ended the day after the accident so I've been missing my first week of school while staying here.

"Well I guess you can stay at my place," He sighs.

"I wouldn't have it any other way" I reply.

⋆⋆⋆

Standing in front of the mirror I glance down at my clothes. I wear a simple baby-blue sun dress, with a sweetheart neckline. As well as a long, white, crochet cardigan that falls to my knees. Passing the the baby-blue dress that falls to my mid-thigh. I quickly pull my dark brown hair out its messy ponytail and brush it out. Allowing it to fall neatly past my shoulders.

Walking towards the door, I grab my grey ankle boots and shut the door behind me. I run down the stairs.

Carter stands there waiting for me, his hair messily jelled up. He's wearing a pair of dark, denim skinny jeans and a faded, blue t-shirt.

As I walk towards the door he grabs a black leather jacket off of the hook and shrugs it on. At the same time I quickly and ungracefully, shimmy my feet into my boots and reach for the door handle.