Chapter 24: A Gift

Padme was at home like Lux had suggested and she was trying to do some work and failing miserably. Her mind had been filled with distracting thoughts that caused her to become inadequate at her job. Today's meeting hadn't helped to clear her head as to the state of her marriage to Anakin. He'd not spoken to her since that fateful night and Padme didn't know what else to do. 'You could've killed him Ani!' That little piece of knowledge terrified Padme as she would never think of her beloved husband as a murderer. Sure he cut down droids during his battles but they were just wires and machinery, not actually living, breathing, flesh and blood beings.

Clovis had been pushing her that may have made her uncomfortable but she could handle it! She wasn't weak! She didn't need someone to constantly look after her! Was she wrong to want more from this suppose marriage? 'There are people out there in a marriage who have everything we don't have! Everything we won't have!' Her anger, frustration and just sheer annoyance had just snapped when she felt her life was constantly controlled and overlooked by her Jedi General husband. Clovis had been involved in a small proportion of her life and the moments she could remember of him were dominated by politics. She didn't love him. Padme loved Anakin. However that particular person seemed to constantly fixate in her past that didn't include him instead of remembering all the wonderful things they had done together. It was completely unfair!

Padme knew she'd hurt Anakin and seeing Clovis today hadn't probably helped the situation but she didn't know what else she could do! She had to go to Scipio and oversee the banks transition of power and make sure everything went smoothly. Plus, Anakin had been avoiding her since that faithful night so where he slept she had no idea but they couldn't get past this. She wasn't even sure what the state of her marriage to Anakin was now, her words had sounded pretty final. 'I don't feel safe anymore, Ani, I'm sorry. But this marriage isn't a marriage if it's built on lies and secrets!' Padme didn't want to get a divorce, she didn't even know how that would work in their scenario..

Knowing that she want going to get any work done, Padme slammed her computer shut with a huff before going to flop on the couch. Tears started to flow from her eyes as her emotions overwhelmed the Nabooian Senator and her heart began to clench. Her bitterness at all she had to lose consumed Padme as she wept, politics forgotten. Anakin may be the Jedi who standed to lose more from their marriage yet for some reason, Padme was the one who was getting more hurt. The doorbell rang and caused her to jump. "Padme? Are you there? Ahsoka and I have come to see you." It was Lux. Padme sighed, she could deal with the pair of teenagers however her husband and old friend were not people Padme wondered if she could ever handle.

She stood up and started to make her way to the door before she caught sight of her appearance and knew she had to change that. The last thing she needed was to freak Lux and Ahsoka out when they saw what type of emotional state she was in. Wiping her eyes and removing the smudged mascara, Padme took several deep breaths before feeling in control. This moment of pause allowed her to hear what the pair of loved-up teens were saying despite it being quiet and muffled. "Ahsoka remember, Padme may just be as bad as your Master was so just try to be nice. It wasn't her directly who caused this, he said Clovis." Padme didn't know exactly what they were taking about but context and names allowed her to paint a pretty good picture for herself. Something had happened toAbskin and they were coming to see if she knew anything about it. Well that was okay, she supposed.

Padme didn't get time to hear Ahsoka's response as she smoothed her dress down and opened the door. "Hello my dears, how are you? What brings you by on such a lovely surprise?" Deciding against bringing their conversation up, Padme went with ignorance and was pleased to see that Ahsoka didn't look at all hostile towards her. "Please come in, take a seat." She gestured towards her seating area where different tyeoes of lounging furniture lay.

Lux stepped on first and led Ahsoka to the couch were they became very comfortable sat very close to each other. Padme sat down in a small, cream armchair opposite them. "We are well Padme, thank you. We've just come back from Level 15 actually. Ahsoka received a transmission from Captain Rex that her Master had gone a bit funny. So we've just been to check." Lux explained to their friend.

Ahsoka saw Padme's face drain of colours and blanch at the news. "My goodness! Is he okay? What happened?" Her concern was touching for Ahsoka but she could still sense sons apprehension in her. She was going to ask about Clovis to try and learn more about exactly what type of person he was to cause her Master to have a breakdown. As she opened her mouth, Padme cut in front of her and carried on talking and hadn't stopped. "I think it's sweet home close the two of you have become." She started, looking at her close proximity between them and their held hands. "Lux, I hope you know to what lengths Ahsoka will go to in order to keep you safe and happy. Ahsoka, I hope you realised how much Lux is willing to sacrifice for you. Love is a gift and you should be eternally grateful when it is received." The statements were touching so neither of them had the heart to mention the crack in her voice or the tears shining in her eyes.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I'm sorry it's a day late for my daily streak however to be honest I thought I would be able to do a double daily update! After I'd wrote Chapter 23, I started to write this chapter and I managed to finish it! 1368 words! I was so happy! Then it said that it couldn't find my story part so I saved and left only to return again immediately... And all of it was gone, except for the first word. Filled with frustration, it sucked out my motivation so I couldn't update yesterday. I'll hopefully be back on track tomorrow. I love the scene where Anakin beats the living daylights out of Clovis until he his a pulp. I'm sorry about the extremely long Author's note but I'll hopefully update tomorrow. Bye, bye.