Chapter 31: Guilty or Innocent?

Ahsoka sat in the cold, dark prison cell feeling broken and deflated. She'd been so close to uncovering who was really behind this. Now, it appeared as though she had killed their only suspect. Ahsoka groaned for this really wasn't where she wanted to be. She shouldn't be stuck here in a prison cell, she wasn't a criminal. Right now she needed Lux for they hadn't had a chance to talk about what happened since that fateful day. She also needed her Master as well but Ahsoka really was not sure which male human she desperately hoped for the most. Despair swelled in her heart however Ahsoka was careful not to let it consume her.

The prison cell ray shield disappeared and Ahsoka looked up only to sigh and droop her head once more. Admiral Tarkin and a trio of clones entered the cell. He looked smug as he carried a holographic disc and Letta's hat. "I didn't kill her!" Ahsoka protested although she knew her words would fall on deaf ears.

He turned to her wearing the smile of someone who couldn't wait to see them be punished. "Really? Because the evidence would suggest otherwise." He activated the hologram which showed Letta being raised off the ground and clutching her throat as she was choked to death. Ahsoka saw herself with her arms also raised and without the sound it did look suspicious. "Every cell in this prison is equipped with military grade speakers. They are never deactivated however the ones for this cell, that may prove your gulit further, don't appear to be working. Do you know why, Padawan Tano?" Tarkin had already made up his mind as to her fate but Ahsoka refused to go down without a fight.

Daring to look him in the eye, Ahsoka managed to snarl at him. "Of course not! I would never kill her! There must've been someone else! Someone I didn't see!" She saw how Tarkin glazed over her words, ignoring them, finding the plot holes.

Eventually he turned back to her, superiority and authority radiating off of him. "If there was someone else here, then why didn't you sense them?" It was a valid question and one that seemed to leave Ahsoka to stunned to reply. Tarkin seemed satisfied that he had won their argument and left Ahsoka to stew in her misery. However Ahsoka wasn't busy trying to work out a way around his question; no, she was trying to decide exactly what the cause of her sudden nausea was...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anakin had been sitting in his quarters, checking through the holo-net to see what Coruscant and the other worlds had made of the attack. He was thankful that nothing appeared to be overly discouraging of his Jedi and their efforts to lead the war. These anti-war activists were prominent on Coruscant for the moment but the rest of the galaxy dealt with these people on a much lower level. A sudden commotion outside his door caused the young Jedi Knight to look up from his search and see the panic-stricken face of Captain Rex. "Rex? Is everything okay?" Anakin knew it must be pretty serious for Rex to lose his cool.

The Captain just shook his head vehemently. "No sir, it's Commander Tano. She's been arrested at the Senate prison. For killing Letta Turmond." He jumped out the way as his general leaped at him like a wild animal however didn't do so in time as he ended up pinned against the wall.

"WHAT?! THERE IS NO WAY IN THE HISTORY OF THE FORCE THAT SHE, AHSOKA TANO, MY PADAWAN, WOULD EVER DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT! YOU MUST BE MISTAKEN REX, FORCE HELP THE IDIOT WHO DARED TO ARREST HER IF THIS ISN'T A JOKE!" Rex had seen Anakin rough and angry before but this was something entirely different. He looked uncontrollable. Eventually Rex managed to shake his head. Anakin growled like a deranged madman and stalked away with Rex in tow. "Then lets go pay that prison a visit."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------