Chapter 32: On the Run

The Jedi Council were sat in their chambers, all wearing grave faces. The news of Ahsoka's supposed kill and subsequent breakout had shocked them all to the core. Many couldn't believe that this had happened. "We must be missing something." Obi-wan declared. "Ahsoka wouldn't behave like this without proper reasoning." He turned to Anakin who was lent against the wall with a dark and unreadable expression on his face. "Did she say anything to you?" Anakin shook his head, remaining mute.

Ki-Adi-Mundi cleared his throat and the negotiator tried to mentally prepare his emotional friend in case the analytical Jedi said something Anakin didn't want to hear. "Is it possible that Padawan Tano simply... Snapped? I'm not saying she did commit what she has been accused of but-

"Yes you are." Anakin interrupted the Jedi Master, glaring ice cold daggers at him that would terrify even the most brave and stoic fighters.

If he was afraid, the Jedi Master hid his fear exceptionally well and continued as though nothing had happened. "But until she returns and gives an official statement, we can not rule out the possibility that maybe, in her anger, perhaps something did happen." Ki-Adi-Mundi held the face of a brave, brave man in the face of pure hatred that glowered at him from the side. A feat that was rarely accomplished. Obi-wan had never seen Anakin actually start seething before.

Surprisingly, it was Mace Windu who managed to hold the peace together. "We can't be sure of anything at the moment. Starting to doubt Padawan Tano's words would only give her cause to run farther. We should send out a search party for her." All of the Masters nodded in agreement although their thoughts on the young Togruta were clouded and divided.

Anakin stepped forward, looking every other Jedi in the eye. "I'll lead the search, she's my Padawan and I'm going to find her." He was daring someone to say something and they all knew it.

Plo Koon stood up and stood beside the Jedi Knight. "I too will go." The pair started to turn around but Mace called them back.

"Hang on, I'm not so sure that Skywalker should go." He held his hand up for silence before Anakin could start screaming a torrent of abuse at him. "His emotional attachment to Padawan Tano might make this difficult for the both of you and unintentionally sabotage the objective. It would be better if you remain here." He lowered his hand and waited for the yelling to start.

It was actually Obi-wan who disagreed with him but in a nicer way. "I disagree, keeping Anakin here would be a recipe for disaster. He has the best connection with Ahsoka out of anyone here and therefore stands a higher chance of being able to find her." He smiled gently at his ever so slightly restrained friend. "However Master Yoda, the choice to what we do is yours." They all turned to look at the eldest and wisest Jedi Master.

He looked at his fellow Force-wielders and sighed. "Send Master Koon and Skywalker, we will. Find this lost child, we must."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asajj Ventress had changed a lot throughout the Clone War. No longer a ruthless assassin, she had discovered a career in bounty hunting and was surprisingly good at it. The money she made came in handy when she needed to keep off the scanners and for the heart of the Republic there was a lot of crime that could be collected on. Recently, she had just gotten her outfit renewed with an enclosed mask that hid her face and tighter belts for her lightsabers to rest on. Work had been slow recently but the Force-sensitive Nightsister had gotten a good sense to stay close enough to police to easily assess new information but far enough that they couldn't detect her. Right now, some new bounty had come in and Asajj was going to collect.