Chapter 3: Ceremony Of The Sacred Hand

There was one person that stood out to me, and she was the only female in the fortress

There was one person that stood out to me, and she was the only female in the fortress. From observing her short but pointy ears, I concluded that she was a Peredhil. Her eyes were purple, signifying her half-elvish lineage, she was beautiful, and she looked very lean. My thoughts were interrupted when a burly man entered the bailey. Immediately I knew he was the commander. We all stood at ease, awaiting his instructions. He stood in front of us, and slowly he looked at each of the recruits in their faces, his gaze soon met mine, and when he saw me, his eyebrows furrowed in anger, he briskly approached me. Stopping two steps away, he looked at Zorion and grumbled. 

"Why have you brought that creature into this fortress?" Zorion stepped forward, but I cut him off. 

"My lord! I'm the son of Engar Rheatonsey, my name is Zarek." I received the nastiest scowl. 

"Zorion I asked you a question?" 

"Commander Kalodor, the kid already told you, and if you have a problem, take it up to supreme commander Hawkins." 

 The commander looked at me and scorned me. "If anything goes wrong in this fortress you will be held accountable, understand!" 

Zorion walked away and leaned on a wooden fence close to the gatehouse. "Now listen up! My name is Kalodor Bartleby-Everson! I'm one of the commanders of the Harwood fortress. I commend you all for having the courage to be here today, and for that, you have my respect. I know all of you have had a long and treacherous journey, so the council has decided to give you three days to yourself. Use that free time as you please." He turned elegantly on his heels and returned to the keep. A man clad in heavy armor escorted the males. I looked around but I did not see the half-elf girl with us. I finally laid eyes on her and the peredhil was being escorted to somewhere separate.

The barracks were nothing like I expected; it was very clean. They were bunk beds, and on each was a black tunic. The man who escorted us gave a warning, "keep this room tidy at all times, or you will receive punishment. understood?"

We all nodded in unison.

The door slammed shut behind us. The commoners seemed excited, well at least some of them.

Unexpectedly, one of the nobles made an outburst, looking at his clothing, I could tell which family he came from. 

"Listen! you, dirty commoners!" He shouted. "I don't want dealings with any of you wretched dogs, so I suggest you keep your distance"

 People like this, I couldn't stand, but I preferred to stay out of trouble. They looked at him with contempt and went about their business. I was about to mind my own when the same noble called out to me. His hair was blonde and undercut, and his jaws were strong, he had Icy blue eyes-- his face was perfect.

I sighed. "What do you want!?" He signaled for me to come over, so I obliged. 

"So you are Engar's unknown son," he chuckled. "All this time I wondered why he kept you hidden and now I know why."