Chapter 16: A Familiar Face

Shael stood behind the burly man with furrowed eyebrows, waiting on me to make a move. With a nod to Shael, she unsheathed her weapon and swung at Abbadon. He blocked her attack with ease. The men that accompanied--- Abbadon–--seven in total, charged at me. My heart began to race. I took one of the weapons that lay next to the man I killed. I twirled the original weapon I held in my right hand and attacked furiously.

From the top, one of the men attacked. I blocked and his weapon raked against mine, causing a brief burst of sparks. I was on the defensive. Their weapons pound against mine making–my muscles become weary. The only thing saving me was the deep well of mana within me. I used it to replenish my stamina and strengthen my arms.

 Still, I was being pushed back. Foolishly, but to my advantage, one of the men charged ahead of his group thinking he could land a fatal blow; I was going to punish him for his mistake. The man struck from overhead but with my second sword, I stopped it. With a powerful thrust, I shoved my weapon deep into the man's stomach. He cried out in pain as I twist the sword. The man screamed in agony; music to my ears. With a last release of breath, blood emerged from the man's mouth before dropping to the floor.

The men that accompanied him stood in guard stances, cautious of me. I smiled sinisterly, pointing my second weapon at him. "Don't be shy!" I said, "Come at me!" I would soon regret antagonizing them. Their attacks were delivered elegantly and brutally. I was kicked and punched all while trying to avoid the sharp sting of their weapons.

My anger began to grow, but it was not an uncontrollable fury, that limited my ability to attack expertly. This anger ran through my body adding speed and ferocity to my attacks. While fighting, I began to think. How dare these traitors invade my land, and conduct illegal activity all while trying to take my life in the process? I thought Indignantly.

It was me, against six men. But my will to fight was enough to contest with them. I leaped back making one of the men who dashed his weapon towards me stumble. With a determined swing, I opened the man's throat with my weapon. Blood gargled as he dropped to the floor gasping.

The men lunged at me. One by one I dealt with them ruthlessly. One man assaulted my left flank. With the weapon in my left hand, I obstructed his attack. And with my right sword, I shoved it into his eye. The man dropped his weapon hopping and screaming as he held his eye.

Four of the men were left standing. With this advantage, I increased my offensive. I scythed from left to right. I kicked one of the men, hard and fast. The man let out a grunt as he staggered back and fell over some crates. An overhead head strike sent my sword deep into the shoulder of the man close to me. A cruel thug unstuck my weapon from his shoulder. The man switched his weapon and stepped back. Blood streamed down his arm and chest matting his clothes with blood.

 I was about to end him when he pleaded for mercy. "Wait! I beg ya, don't kill us. Let us walk away, you'll never see us in ya sights again!" The man shouted. His companions all looked at him and then at me lowering their weapons. From the entrance of the alley, I could hear Shael fighting with Abbadon. Letting them escape would be honorable since they surrendered. But something snapped within me and in a fit of rage, I swung my weapon killing the man who begged for mercy. He was sprawled lifeless at my feet.

The men looked on in horror. They were going to fight back, but I wouldn't allow them the chance. Cold-bloodedly, I cut them down swiftly.

I swung my sword letting the blood that was stained thickly on it paint the ground. I paused, taking my time to process the bloodbath I unleashed in this alley. The metallic scent of blood was heavy in the air.

No sympathy, none at all I felt.

The sound of swords clashing was unending and furious. I ran to the end of the alley. I looked to my left, then right. Shael was fighting Abbadon but with difficulty. I ran fast hoping to land a sneak attack. Shael was on her knees; with nothing she could do under the glittering claymore of Abbadon. With sheer force of will, aided by my magic, I came in between Shael and his weapon. He stared at my weapon before stepping back.