Chapter 5: Apostles of Nekulla

Day one...

It was now our first day in this cabin alone, Shael was in charge of breakfast because none of us knew how to cook. Roger voluntarily gathered firewood, even though I offered to go with him. Klayden was on the floor relaxing, his head resting in his hands. Klayden's goons: Dagen, Caldor, and Akibrus, sat in a corner, like children waiting on their mother for instructions. But I was no better than them, suddenly an idea manifested into my head. Yesterday upon taking a look at the surrounding area, I concluded that this cabin would be overrun if attacked. This was a chance to test my role as a leader of this group.

"I think we should have a meeting!" I announced.

Everyone noticed me besides Klayden. I could hear Roger's boots approaching the cabin, He made it just in time.

"Roger! Glad you made it, we were starting to discuss some important stuff."

He rest the firewood at the door and sat next to me. "What is it you're discussing?" He asked, his eyebrows dripping with sweat.

"I would tell you but first, we need everyone to join."

Klayden slightly lifted his head, it seems he was curious about what I had to say. Dagen got up, but he was stopped by Akibrus. "Where are you going?" he asked.

"Let's be real here brus, we aren't going to last a day if we split up, so I'm choosing the best option for survival, and if you were smart you would do the same." Caldor looked at Akibrus nervously, and they both looked at Klayden. He was indifferent to what was taking place, with a shrug Caldor joined Dagen.

Akibrus was still reluctant, he scratched his head, "Ah, fuck it." The three of them sat in front of me and Roger.

"Breakfast is ready!" Shael shouted, She used a circular tree stump as a makeshift plate to bring us the food. We ate like it was our first time eating, everyone except Klayden. If he doesn't be careful, his pride will be the death of him.

I wiped the crumbs from my face "That breakfast was excellent Shael." She smiled and gave a low bow.

"Alright then, let's start. Everyone drew in closer to hear, "Right now the food we received will only last us for tonight, we also don't have any water so we'll have to get someone on that...any volunteers?"

Roger raised his hand. "I'll go, while I was gathering firewood I came upon a river."

"That's good! But always travel with another person...let Shael accompany you."

I was annoyed by that decision, but it was important to our survival. "Now that we have water secured, we need food. I nominate myself for that job." This would be the easiest task because I would always go hunting for sport with my brother and father. "I could accompany you!" Dagen shouted.

"The extra eyes would be appreciated, thank you!" It was surprising to see Dagen voluntarily join me. "Ok then, Akibrus, Caldor, and Klayden can protect the cabin."

These words made Klayden rise to his feet, and he did not look happy. He grabbed a piece of bread and meat and took a huge bite out of it. "And who elected you as the leader of our group?" Klayden asked. "Right now it seems you elected yourself"

"Give it a rest Klayden!" Dagen shouted. "He's doing more than you since we got here."

Klayden looked at him with one eyebrow raised, "Is that so?" He took another huge bite out of the meat and walked slowly towards me, and stooped rapidly. We were now face-to-face.

"Alright then," he said. "If anything goes wrong, you have to take responsibility." His eyebrows were furrowed, as he stared into my eyes not even blinking. I was honestly nervous, but whatever he had planned, I was going to put an end to it.