Chapter 7: Despair

We followed the river for about thirty minutes, and Dagen still wasn't anywhere to be found. I was on the verge of bursting into tears. None of us can die now, not when we've made it this for. Walking next to the river was becoming unbearable, I found it very difficult to walk over rocks and through the mud. Everyone seemed to be having the same trouble.

Klayden shouted for my attention. "Zarek!... I think we should stop!" He said panting.

I stopped in my tracks and turned to him, frustration written on my face.

"If it were you, would you have liked me to stop searching!?" I asked.

"I didn't mean to make you mad!, Klayden shouted. Those Duskfangs were following us for the past thirty minutes! We should be finding our way out of this forest!" He said.

"Fuck! The Duskfangs, this is Dagen we're talking about. And I'm not stopping till I reach the end of this river, so If you all don't want to keep going feel free to go your own way!" My heart was hurting just thinking about what happened to him. I didn't mean to take it out on them I was just frustrated.

The river was starting to bend if we kept following the river, does Duskfangs would be able to attack us.

Klayden was right. I could smell rain approaching if we aren't careful we could fall into this river. The rain finally approached, showering us heavily, and for some reason, it felt wetter than any other rain. In the distance, you could hear the Duskfangs screeching. Our path was slowly becoming darker, the rain clouds started to block out the moon's dim light.

"Damn it, Zarek I think we should go!" Klayden insisted. I could now barely see any of them, their silhouettes barely visible.

"I agree with Klayden, Shael admitted. I was fearful of saying it but it needs to be said if Dagen hasn't shown up, that means he is most likely already dead."

That possibility had already crossed my mind, I'd just hope that somehow, and by some miracle, he could show up. I put my hands on my waist and looked up to the dark sky, the rain showering my face. The clouds were being dimly illuminated by the moon. I just looked up at the sky for some time. I guess it was really difficult to accept that he was gone, drowned in a river with no one besides us, to mourn him.

I let out a sigh, barely managing to hold back my tears. Alright then, let's find our way out of this forest.

We headed into the dense trees, the foliage of trees created a thick canopy, which only allowed minimal light to get in. Entering this forest felt like going into an infinite abyss, which never allowed those who entered to leave.

We were walking through the forest slowly. No one spoke, even though the forest was as still, and silent as the dead; except for the rain splattering. We didn't utter a word. The danger was near, so we always have to be on our toes. Our clothes were soaked right through as we walked through the rain and we were hungry. I thought about how Dagen felt in his last moments, he was so close to being with us, and just like that his life was taken from him. I looked back at our group, I couldn't see their faces, but I could tell that their morale was low.

I don't have time to think about Dagen he's gone now, I have to help the ones here with me now.

I stopped in my tracks, and everyone else came to a halt their feet rustling the leaves.

"What is it? Shael asked."

I turned to face them, their silhouettes resembling a shadow. I whispered trying not to interrupt the silence of the forest. "guys, I'm sorry for everything that's been happening to us, I don't know if you're questioning my role as the leader of this group, but I will do everything in my power to ensure our safety."