Chapter14: Mud and Blood Money (Part 2)

The days that came after that one afternoon never had a dull moment. Shael and I would lay on the bed for hours and engage in vigorous kissing sessions. However, to my disappointment, Shael wouldn't allow us to go further.

Many days had passed and it was now sword's day, one day before Saint's day. The day when those men would arrive. We both decided to calm down our intimate escapades and focus on the mission. The anxiousness of those men arriving finally returned. Shael and I were at the window sill. She sat in the chair, while I leaned on the window.

My eyes were fixed on every person that exited and entered the tavern; not a detail would be missed. My concentration was broken when Shael spoke to me. "Zarek, there is no point in staring at the tavern, we already know when they are going to arrive, right now we should be preparing," Shael advised. She was right.

I got up from the window sill and stretched. "Ok then, let us prepare."

I took up a very long wooden broom that lay tilted on the wall close to the bed. With a grunt, I broke it in half. I took the piece that still had the hay bristles attached and gave the other to Shael. "It's been a while, I'm beginning to get rusty," I said pulling the bristles from the broom.

 Shael spun the broom between her fingers before taking a hanging stance–the broom was held with both hands to the side of her head. Shael was being cautious. "Anyway! Let's start."

With a clear mind, and hesitation gone from my body, I charged at Shael. I swung overhead leaving my body open. Just as I predicted, she attacked where I wanted her to. I moved my body to the left dodging her attack. With my open palm, I hit the hand that held her wooden weapon, sending her tumbling. I was ready to strike her on the head but to my surprise, she nimbly regained her balance barrel-rolling on the ground away from my attack.

She stood crouched in the position I was originally in with her stick in her right arm pointing towards me. We stalled staring at each other for what felt like minutes. I quickly tried to predict where she would attack next, but they were many outcomes---too many to quickly analyze.

With violent speed we charged at each other, our feet thumping hard on the wooden floor. With heavy swings, our sticks clashed. A flurry of attacks was dished out by both of us. Shael began to grit her teeth in desperation as I increased the power of my swings; I was tiring her arms. In a last desperate act of trying to hit me, she threw her stick with a grunt. What was she trying to achieve?

 I quickly twirled away; the stick landing harmlessly where I once stood. Shael charged at me with a smaller piece of wood broken from her original weapon. To assist her jump, Shael used the bed as a catapult, launching herself toward me, she struck at my head with her left leg. I barely was able to dodge her unexpected attack; her feet brushing the top of my head. She spun in the air changing the foot she attacked with. Her right foot struck me in the chest sending me tumbling toward the wall. I regained my balance. Shael charged toward me once more but I was ready for her attack. She struck straight, hard and fast, but her attacks were becoming wild. I grabbed the arm she struck and pressed my wooden weapon on her stomach.

I held her arm tightly and smiled. "You're really good Shael...but I'm better," I said boastfully.

Shael panted and panted before pulling her arm from mine. She threw her stick on the ground. "How did you get up? That kick I gave you would've put a grown man to sleep." I raised my eyebrows and walked towards Shael holding her waist. "So, do you think I'm a little boy–is that it?" I said while gently kissing her neck.

She wasn't excited by my charms. She pulled herself from my embrace. "I'm not in the mood," she said while walking towards the bathroom.

My attention was now fixated on the door. Thunderous knocks sent my heart racing violently. Quickly, I scrambled to find my rose eye cover. I finally found it strewn over the pile of clothes in my chest.