Chapter 9: Hunter-Assassin Regiment

We talked inside the council room for hours, and surprisingly she even told me her name: Zefra Bedo. While talking she also gave me some good information, like the proper etiquette when talking to a commander or a council member, you have to put your open palm on your left chest and bow slightly. Talking to her made me feel good, but I feel I am too easily trusting maybe too many years deprived of proper social interaction made me easily trusting of persons who speak to me kindly. 

"Alright Zarek, it is getting late and I am tired."

I got up from my seat. "Well, thank you for speaking with me your excellency." I put my open palm on my left chest showing her that I was listening. She smiled at me and arose from her seat. With a sympathetic look on her face, she pulled me in for a hug.

"Once again Zarek, I am sorry you lost your friends."

At this point, I would be a liar if I said my private region wasn't solid. Her well-endowed chest was pressed against me.

"Alright now, be on your way," She said.

I approached the elevator, it took a while before it reached this floor. Silently the door opened.

The walk to the barracks was slow, the memories of what happened were replaying in my mind. I was starting to become angry the anger spilling out into my expression; I quickly brought myself under control. I reached the barracks where I heard multiple persons chattering. I opened the door; the other recruits were huddled around Klayden and Roger.

"What happened out there?" One of them asked. "Where are the others?"

It seems Roger and Klayden only recently got here. "They're dead!" Roger shouted. The room grew quiet, some of them put their hands to their mouths in horror. How did they die? I walked closer and leaned on a post next to a bed. Klayden did not look happy. 

Roger sighed. "They were killed by witch soldiers; we barely managed to escape with our lives."

Some of them had sadness on their faces; others were scared. From the silence, we heard a voice, we all turned our heads to see who spoke. "See!" He said as he got off his bed. "If some of them died! What do you think will happen to us! He had a bowl cut, his eyes were brown and his nose was convexed. His clothing had a sweat stain at the front. He stared at everyone with anger on his face. "I don't know about any of you, but I'm not sticking around here to get killed." With does words, Klayden rapidly got up from his seat his fist clenched.

He stormed over to him, and in a rage-filled scream, he struck him hard. While he was on the ground, nose bloodied, Klayden continued to punch him, over and over. His knuckles were now also bloodied.

While everyone watched in horror, I ran over to Klayden and grabbed his arm before he could get in another punch. "Klayden! That's enough." He looked at me, tears dripping down his face. He got up and spat on his victim and snatched his arm from my hand.

He wiped away his tears, sniffling. "Look at you cowards, in fear over something you haven't experienced! Akibrus! Dagen! And Caldor died fighting bravely, even Shael! While you cowards were in the safety of the fortress!"

Everyone just stared at Klayden in shock, the bloodied victim of Klayden laying on the floor groaning.

"If you can't pick up your swords and fight... Don't even consider yourself my equal! Klayden stormed out the door. Without a single word, they all went to their beds, I walked towards Klayden. His arms were clasped in front of him. He looked tired.

"That was unexpected," I said while folding my arms.

Roger sighed and got up from his seat with a grunt. "Well, I'm not going to hurt my head thinking about it– too tired."