Chapter 6

I looked at the apostle bewildered. Why would I give up myself for sacrifice, when I don't even know what I'm sacrificing myself for!? I asked angrily.

He lowered his sword and stared at me, I met his gaze trying to see if there were any eyes behind that mask. He broke the menacing silence.

" I don't have time for your emotions! He shouted. "I offered you an ultimatum, you for your friend's lives!" I tightened my fist and lowered my head, I didn't know what to do, and I was frustrated. Tears began to well in my eyes, I was between a rock and a hard place. I put myself as the leader of the group, and I promised Klayden if anything happened I'd take responsibility.

I pursed my lips and let out a sigh, I finally made my decision. But before I could get my words out I felt someone push past me, it was Shael. She outstretched her arm and shouted "Vile au!" With does words, a force sent the three horsemen and their horses flying back. Branches feel off and swayed. Revealing, the unknown entities in the trees, they were multiple Duskfangs, most likely being controlled by that horseman. But we now had a head start since they were immobilized.

All of us stood there, surprised. What are you waiting for! Shael shouted. Run! We didn't even pick up the supplies. We were going the wrong way, but if we didn't want to die we had to go. I poured magic into my feet, and as I sped through the forest my foot got stuck in a branch making me fall, but I didn't have time to dwell on it I got up and caught up to everyone. We were panting heavily, their breathing was shallow and noisy. We were jumping over bushes and getting struck in the face with thorns. I could tell some of us were tired, but the Duskfangs were hot on our heels,  the fear of what would happen to us was all the fuel we needed to keep running.

My head started to pulse violently, at first I didn't mind it but it was starting to become unbearable. I started to feel a cold piercing sensation in my neck. Every time danger got close the sensation became stronger. Suddenly I felt the presence of something behind me, the feeling was heavy on my back. I came to a sudden stop skating on the dirt. I Unsheathed my sword, and imbued my arms with magic, the runes slowly appearing on my arms. What happened next was extraordinary, and I still couldn't explain it to this day.

 I turned on my heel to meet my attacker, a Duskfang was midair ready to pounce on my back, and for some reason, time moved slow. My breathing came to halt; my limbs felt like there were on fire. I swung, and In a flash, I took the head of the creature. 

Its body flopped right next to me, the teeth of the creature slowly retracted, I thought of how it would feel if does fangs entered my skin. My attention returned to the forest; the fight wasn't over. My pineal gland began to feel heavy, three Duskfangs were hopping from tree to tree, I easily dispatched them. Suddenly the feeling that alerted me to danger subsided, it feel like a huge weight was taken off my shoulders, or so I thought.

The brushes in front of me were swaying, multiple Duskfangs were approaching. "how could I be so stupid." I asked myself, I gave up safety based on an unknown feeling. I contemplated on whether to run, but It made no sense running now. if I turned my back I would be dead, instantly. 

Everyone was safely away, which means if they live, I would've fulfilled my role as the leader of this group.  and thinking like that made me happy about the outcome of this fight that was approaching.

I spread my feet apart and took a defensive stance. I tightly gripped my sword, I was ready to kill anything that approached me. Suddenly I heard branches snapping behind me, I whipped my head around to see what danger had approached me from behind, but it was no enemy it was Shael. Twice in night day, she has saved my life; If we made it out of here I would have to owe her my life.

Get down! She shouted. She outstretched her arms and uttered the same incantation she said at the cabin. Vile au! The Duskfangs screeched as they were forced back violently. We retreated from the fight.

We came upon Klayden and the others, it seems that we came to the edge of a cliff. The moon was high in the sky, partially illuminating the seemly endless forest. Below was a river, it was wide and flowed fast.

We all looked at the river. we were panting at the edge, and in the distance, the enemy was screeching;  getting closer and closer.

"So who's going first!?"  Klayden shouted. "Cause it's sure as hell not going to be me!"

I was scared, but we were about to be dead if we didn't make a decision.

Alright! I'll go I said. But make sure when you hit the water to start swimming! I took a deep breath and stepped closer to the edge. I looked down at the river, and I felt dizzy. Times was of the essence so I shut off my brain and said. Fuck it! I put one foot off and then the other, I was plummeting quickly. Before I knew it I realized I made a mistake, I was about to hit the water in full armor. I screamed, and with a violent splash, I hit the water. I began to descend rapidly, I imbued my arms with magic, the runes making the water around me glow with a dim light. I began to panic as I slowly reached the surface, water bubbles obscuring my sight. I started to panic, wildly flailing my arms trying to get air.

 I finally reached the surface and began coughing out water. I realized the water was carrying me away, so I swam with all my might to the other bank of the river, while swimming I heard multiple loud splashes; they all jumped in behind me.

I reached the bank and slowly crawled onto land. I felt so weak I couldn't help but lay in the mud. I was panting heavily.

Shael crawled on the river bank and lay beside me, followed by everyone else. Klayden had his hands on his knees gasping for air.

 On the edge of the mountain the Duskfangs stopped and screeched at us, they scampered over each other trying to find a way down.

"Stay up there you pieces of shit!" Klayden shouted.

I stood up, my limbs feeling weak, "Is everyone alright?" I asked. They all responded, "Yes!'

Immediately I knew something was wrong. "Wheres Dagen?" I asked, my heart sunk.

'What do you mean, he jumped off the cliff with u-"  Klayden cut his words short when he realized Dagen wasn't here.

I ran to the edge of the bank searching the water for any signs of him. My eyes were peeled, watching every single part of the river, my heart was racing thinking about what happened to him. From the corner of my eye, barely visible was an arm, dipping in and out of the water. It was drifting away.

There he is! I exclaimed. I ran in his direction, hoping for an opportunity to get him. His hand would duck go underneath the water and then come back out flailing around. I searched for anything to grab onto to get him out, but I could find nothing. The situation was about to become worse, he was approaching a rapid. I ran ahead and shouted, One of you grab onto my hand! I was going to catch him.

Roger grabbed my right arm, and I outstretched my left arm as far as I could.

 Dagen's arm surfaced again, flailing. As he got closer to the rapid he increased in speed. I was certain I was going to catch him, he got closer and closer. But I was so close yet so far. His arm suddenly went underneath the water. Dammit! I shouted in frustration.