Chapter 11: Reinhold's Manor (Part 2)

"Ok! Get off him!" James commanded. The images in front of me began to spin making me lose my balance. My head pulsed ferociously, the blood seeping from my nose entered my mouth; the metallic taste of blood becoming even more prominent. I eventually found my footing.

Klayden was sprawled on the ground groaning. "Shael, would you kindly ask Oda for a healing scroll, please, and thank you!" James calmly asked. Shael complied without hesitation.

I stood in front of James my chest held high trying my hardest not to pass out. He rest his hands on his waist and shook his head. "I know that this isn't the limit to both of your strengths, what happens when you're cornered huh? And there is no one to come and save you, are you gonna lay down and die out of breath or keep fighting?"

Klayden lightly flailed around his arms. "Come on sir! Give me a break I'm on the verge of death." 

Shael returned with two healing scrolls clutched to her chest. Klayden and I were healed instantly. 

"Take a seat, all of you!" James commanded. "Before we do anything further let me give you an uncensored warning, at the level you guys are at now I don't think you are going to be ready in six months and if you decide to make our jobs harder I don't think you all are going to learn anything. You will be given some grueling tasks and you're gonna feel like quitting, but don't give up, you are going to hate yourself if you, do–trust me."

I sat there in awe at the inspiring words we received, I was motivated ready to tackle anything that came my way. But those words weren't enough to prepare me for what was to come!

It was now the fourth day of Redfall my birthday. I turned eighteen and I didn't receive a letter or a gift from my family. As I ran along the path scouted for us by Mitchell, the air in my lungs started to irritate me due to the cold air. In front of me was Roger and not far behind were Shael and Klayden; Mithcell was mounted on his horse leading us on the path we were supposed to take. As we ran on the muddy road Mitchell shouts at us trying to demoralize us. My stomach was hurting and his loud voice in my hear annoyed me. I ignored every word that came out of his mouth and focused on my task. I had a reason for joining the regiment and no one would stop me from accomplishing it.

I could hear the weary pants of everyone as we pushed ourselves to complete the one mile we had left. Behind me, I heard something drop and squelch into mud followed by a female panting. I turned to see who it was. Shael was kneeling with her hands in the mud her chest rising and falling beneath her, she tried to grab hold of the mud trying to rise to her feet. Klayden and Roger stopped as well we were going to help her when Mitchell roared at us. "What the fuck are you stopping for?! Keep moving!"

Reluctantly we turned and keep running along the dirt road. As I continued I could hear Mitchell yelling at Shael. "You don't have to keep going, just stop and I'll take you back to the manor it's that simple!" 

A scream echoed along the path, from the trees on either side of the road, birds flew away. We whipped our heads around to find Shael on her feet and running again.

It was pitch black and we had finally reached the manor. We dropped on the pebbled driveway, uncontrollably panting. The air wobbled in my throat as I gasped for air. Klayden ran to the thorny bushes and puked. Mitchell tied his horse to the post and walked towards us his feet crunching the pebbles. "Get up! Go eat, wash up and get some rest. You all go with Filibert in the morning," He commanded while waking to the front door.

I arose, my feet shaking as I took weary steps towards the doors. We reached the kitchen and there were huge jars of water on the dining table with cakes and chicken on silver plates laid out neatly. I ran to the table followed by everyone else and dug in. I put the jar of water to my mouth not coming up for a breath of fresh air. Everyone ate heartily not caring about etiquette or mannerisms.