Chapter 4: HeolstorFlod Forest

Shael went in for the next attack, but I was done holding back. She swung at me, but I twirled away.

She expected me to go in a defensive position, but I reversed grip my weapon, and very, quickly I struck her mouth with the pommel. She stumbled back, mouth-filling with blood, We were about to fight again, but we were stopped by the lieutenant, "That's enough!" he shouted. We stood next to recruits who fought. Shaels head was hung low, blood dripping from her mouth. I wanted to know what was going through her head, but I didn't have time to think about her. My arms and face were paining me severely.

Our peers stared at us in amazement. I could see Shael crack a sinister smile walking towards them. "Why are you coming here!" The knight shouted, "go and see a healer!" We arrived at the infirmary, Shael was being checked by the healer.

"It seems your gums have been cut, your lip has also been scared," the doctor said.

He gestured for me to sit down, and dabbed the scar with a cloth. "Wait here, I'm going to get a healing scroll, but be warned," he said. "The scar is not going to disappear."

I nodded, but I didn't take my eyes off Shael. We were now alone, and I was going to get some answers from her. She crossed her arms and diverted her attention from me.

"What happened in there?" I asked. She set her jaw and stared blankly at the medicine cabinet.

This was making me mad, we were fine yesterday, I could even say we were friends, but... if something was going on with her, I was going to find out. I grabbed both of her arms and brought her close to me until both our noses almost touched, she looked at me surprised. I know I was being a bit forceful, but I didn't want to lose her; she was the only good person I talked to after leaving my home.

"Shael," I whispered, "Please if anything has happened, tell me."

Unsurprisingly, she pushed me away. "What are you a dog!" she shouted while shoving me away

"Why are you avoiding it just tell me!" I retorted.

She looked at me puzzled as if I was supposed to know something. "You know Zarek, I thought you would've handled this better, but your just whining, aren't you supposed to be a knight!" She sighed. "I am a woman, these men are not going to respect me, and that would make me an easy target." She walked to the window. "What other way to show I'm not to be messed with, than by besting the son of Engar."

I was at a loss for words... and for some reason, the anger I felt subsided. In that short time, I guess I admired her strength and tenacity, or maybe I didn't want to lose a friend. "Zarek," she whispered, "If you want nothing to do with me after what I just told you, I understand-"

"Listen! you did want you needed to do, that other stuff is trivial, I wouldn't be a good person if your unique path to success stopped us from being together!" I probably sounded desperate but I didn't care.