Chapter 13: An unexpected kiss

1st day of the second week...

I sat on the bed, hoping that those men would arrive soon; the long wait was beginning to make me have doubts. Shael sat at the window looking bored out of her mind. I whipped my head towards the door startled by thunderous knocks. With a groan I got up, almost forgetting the banding I had worn around my eyes. I leaned towards the bed snatching it from beneath the pillow.

With slow and nonchalant steps I walked towards the door. The insistent knocking was becoming unbearable. "I'm coming, hold on!" I shouted annoyed. With a violent twist of the key, I unlocked the door.

Unforeseeably, a young girl, with hair that looked like the best quality straw stood at the door. She looked up at me with big blue-dough eyes and plump cheeks. "Sorry, little one, but I think you are at the wrong door," I said trying to sound not as annoyed as I was.

The little girl looked towards the stairs, then at me again. "Are you sure, my grandpapa said this is where the man with the rose band on his face lived." The little girl said in a soft and shy tone.

I took a deep breath. "Apologies! What does he want?"

"He told me to call you down for your breakfast!" She said enthusiastically.

"Ah, shoot! That completely slipped my mind. Tell him I'll be down in a minute, ok!"

"Ok!" She shouted before running down the stairs giggling.

I don't know what it was, but something annoyed me about children. I donned some appropriate attire and headed downstairs. I rapidly descended the steps, the intense morning light made the shadowy outlines on the floor stretch.

In the dining area, unusually, many persons sat at the tables chattering and eating breakfast. It wasn't as loud due to how early it was in the morning. The scent of caramel hit my nose, I had a short-lived feeling of ecstasy and calmness washed over me; it was truly a heavenly smell.

I turned to face the counter. The old man's eyebrows were furrowed in concentration, and beads of sweat dripped from his forehead. I walked towards him as he dabbed a cloth on his head. "Morning!" I said, trying to keep a smile on my face.

He fixed his attention on me as he dabbed his greased head again. "Oh! Good morning sonny!" He said gleefully. I almost felt guilty for being in such a sour mood.

He took a wooden spice holder and threw it on the food he was preparing. The sudden flare in heat sent the most wonderful smell of bacon towards my nose; my mouth was beginning to water. "Right! Here is your breakfast." He said as he brought a tray filled with: Sausages, blueberry jam on freshly baked bread, eggs, and from the smell of the liquid in the silver decanter...wine

I carefully took the tray from the counter and thanked the old man. I walked up the stairs, with tensed muscles as I tried to stop the drink from shaking. If only Shael liked people, I wouldn't have to do this. I knocked on the door hard and quickly, Shael opened it. I rolled my eyes underneath the elastic band at her as she smiled at the sight of the food in my hands.

We sat on the edge of the bed, and without hesitation, dug in. "Shael gulped some blueberry Jam and bread down before speaking. "I don't think those men are going to show," Shael said as she leaned herself back on the bed.

I raised an eyebrow. "How can you be so sure, the time hasn't even come for them to show." Shael leaned forward and took a bite out of the sausage before going back to her resent position. She gulped. "I know, but I just have a strong feeling."

We finished eating breakfast and gulped down wine. She rubbed her stomach feeling satisfied. She got up and took her coat from the rack. "I'm going to stretch my legs for a bit." She opened the door and exited; the sound of her footsteps dissipating. I took a seat by the window, watching Shael exit the hotel and enter the busy street.