Chapter 15: Mud and Blood Money (Part 3)

Shackles were forced upon my hands and I could tell they negated my mana. They were very tightly put around my hands; my skin rubbed against the metal causing searing pain. I was brought closer to the man in charge. "You caused me a lot of trouble mage... expect it to be returned tenfold," he whispered into my ear. He stepped back and nodded at the man who held my arms. I was violently tugged and guided in the direction of a prison wagon. People stared at me and cursed, some even threw stones.

 If I told you I wasn't scared...I would be lying. When the soldier locked the door my heart sank. What if Shael couldn't find me? What if I would be tortured and maimed for information.? These are the thoughts that made my heart race. I took a deep breath. Shael was still free, and most likely on her way to free me from the prison, I was being carried to. It wasn't over for me yet.

The ride to the prison was somber. I kept my eyes peeled for any danger. I was in shackles but I would still fight, even if it cost me my life. The carriage arrived at a secondary gate deep in the city of Aquentia. The carriage now rode on a cobbled street I looked to my left and towering above us was the castle with the red roofs. People in very elegant clothing looked at me with scorn. The metallic scrape of a door opening was heard in front of me. The light was now gone blotted out by the gatehouse of the prison fort I entered.

The carriage stopped in the center of the bailey. Many Seledianon soldiers walked toward me. "Who would've thought we would be imprisoning a mage," one of the soldiers shouted. The cage was opened and I was dragged from the carriage and led by five guards down stone steps leading to a dark entrance. We walked down a dark hallway only lit by the torch the soldiers that accompanied me had in their hands. The ground was muddy and wet and sloshed. As we got deeper into the darkness, the scent of mildew became potent. Two flames that danced violently were lit at an entrance. The sound of groaning was low but still audible, and a very nasty stench almost made me reel.

 We entered, and prison cells were on each side. Prisoners groaned and cursed. The stench of sweat urine and shit was overwhelming. We reached the end of the hallway and turned to our right heading towards a wooden door. One of the Seledianon soldiers walked ahead and unlocked the door. Inside, was a single chair. The floor was made of stone with hay spread on the floor. To my right was a single torch holder with no torch to give the room some heat.

I sat down in the single wooden chair and tightly, my hands and legs were bound to it. At this point, I didn't have an escape planned, I believed in Shael. I don't know how she would get down here but I believed in her. The door was shut leaving me alone in this cold, dark, and stinking cell.

For hours I waited, shivering violently from the cold. They, for some reason, didn't take off my rose band and armor, and I left uncomfortably sitting. My arms began to feel weary and numbness was taking over. Outside my cell, I could hear the chatter of two soldiers that stood guard. They boasted about the women they encountered and had intercourse with. They suddenly went silent, as more voices began to overtake their conversation. "Shit!" One of the guards said. I could hear their armor shake as they stood at attention for someone who just arrived. The voice was familiar; it was the man with the red cloth tied on his intricately designed armor. "Is he in here?" The man said with a rough and elegant voice. "He is," one of the guards responded. "Ok then, open up!" He commanded. My heart raced as the light began to enter the room and the same man entered with a torch. He rests it in the torch holder before gesturing for someone to bring him something. A chair was handed to him and a guard entered after.

He took a seat in front of me, and a big smile was painted on his face. He sat and stared at me before speaking. "Would you like to tell me your name?" He asked.

I set my Jaw and looked to the wall to my right. I wasn't going to answer him. "If you refuse to answer my questions, you'll be only making it harder on yourself," he said.