Chapter 17: You'll rest when you're dead

I cast a smoke spell and an explosion rocked the bridge, but Shael and I were already on the safety of the other side. Stone rained down; one fell beside me. The dust and smoke blocked my view of the men on the other side.

"Shael, Let's go!" I commanded.

Without looking back, we dashed for the gate. The streets were empty and it was silent; except for the sound of our feet thumping on the cobbled ground and our breaths wobbling in our throats. The gate was in our sights and no one was there to man it.

At the last house, we stopped. To our disadvantage, the gate was shut. But it wasn't a very big problem. If we took the giant iron bar from its prop, we would have it opened in no time. My thoughts were disrupted when Shael called out to me.

"What is it?" I asked. With no response to me, she started to walk. She was headed towards a stable. Lifting her foot, she struck the stable door hard breaking it open. The horses neighed loudly.

"Let's hurry." Shael cautioned.

I approached the closest horse and opened its compartment. The saddle beside it wasn't very heavy, so quickly, I put it on the horse. Shael followed promptly after. The stink of this stable was beginning to make me giddy and leaving it was being hindered by the slow movements of the horse. We now exited the stable with newly acquired steeds. All that was left now was to open the gate.

"Shael, hold my horse," I asked moving toward the gate. Shael obliged and grasped the reign.

"What are you doing with my horses?" A very old voice erupting from behind us said.

My heart sank briefly, but I regained my composure. I pulled the hood off my coat and turned around slightly. I unsheathed my sword, only to be used as intimidation.

"Listen, old man, I suggest you go back inside if you value your life," I said in my most threatening tone.

"I ain't going to go inside, those horses are my lively hood. So, you'll have to kill me or return them."

I was becoming annoyed and angry but I couldn't just take his horses and leave him with nothing in return. I turned slightly, and from the corner of my eye, I saw a frightened old man with a torch. My anger turned to sympathy at the man's bravery. I reached for the pouch of money I had and threw it at the old man. "Now, run along before you get a cold old man." The light from his torch was snuffed out and the money rattled as he returned to his house.

I moved to the gate quickly and pushed the iron bar up. I pushed hard; the muscles tightening in my back. The bar was now out of its prop and I released it. The bar landed with a loud metallic thump that slightly cracked the stone beneath it. Quickly, we were now riding away from the city, side-by-side. 

The light was beginning to break through the clouds. We made it far away from the city, but banditry was at a high. A couple of meters off the road, Shael and I took cover behind a high clump of bushes and tied our horses to the trees that were there. Exhausted, I put my sword on the ground and dropped to my back laying in the high and comforting grass. I felt like drifting off to sleep but my mind raced and my rapidly beating heart made me shiver, just thinking about what Abbadon said.

Shael caught my attention when she took a seat beside me. "What happened back there, Zarek? What did he tell you that could make you lose your composure so badly?" Shael asked concerned.

I paused for a minute contemplating whether I should tell her or dismiss it as nothing. I choose the latter. "It's nothing for you to lose any sleep over," I said turning to lay on my side. Shael sighed and ruffled the grass behind me indicating she was laying down as well. I was tired and my thoughts drifted to many places. Will I fail in achieving my goal? Will my dreams be haunted by those I failed to avenge? Soon, I succumbed to tiredness, my questions left unanswered.