Chapter 19: Hell On Earth

I exited the manor. Reinhold and the others sat atop their horses. It was now in the early hours of darkness, and not a single cloud was visible in the night sky; the moon shone brightly.

A barastyr held my horse in place while I mounted it. Shael stared at me while I made myself comfortable on the horse. "That band suits you," She complimented. I adjusted the band on my eyes as I tried to hide the smile that suddenly spread across my face. "Thank you!" I said humbly accepting it. I didn't have long to dwell upon it, Reinhold whipped his reign and commanded us to move out. The barastyrs opened the gate, and when we exited, a nervous shiver ran down my spine. We followed Reinhold down the path covered by the canopy of trees. The moon was bright, but only a minimum amount of light illuminated our path.

Finally, we emerged on the main road. For some odd reason, I thought we were turning left, I was proven wrong. Reinhold turned to the right and we followed. The road was covered by the shadow of a cluster of trees and we made our way past it. The view my eyes laid upon almost took my breath away. A grassy plain that stretched as far as the eye could see glistened under the veil of the silver moonlight. We went up a hill, and now, I could see bright orange lights scattered lightly under a gigantic mountain; The scenery was surreal.

Many hours passed, and clouds were beginning to slowly move across the dark sky. Reinhold, James, and Zorion were upfront, while I and the others stayed back a couple of feet. The silence was broken by Klayden. "Sorry if I seem a bit cowardly in the eyes of all of you, but I propose, when we establish ground in the enemy's territory, that we devise a plan to rescue this, this... shit, I forgot his name already!"

Shael rustled the reign of her horse before speaking. His name is Josef Schwarz, and your proposal is something obvious. We would be stupid not to plan before executing it.

Klayden sighed. "Good! I assumed you were all suicidal."

It was a few seconds of awkward silence before Roger spoke. "Ya know, I was wondering what it is like in witch territory?"

"Probably nothing good," Klayden responded. "I bet it is a barbaric and lawless land where people can get away with devious acts without suffering the consequences of justice."

Roger shrugged. "Well, you never know."

The sun was beginning to dawn. The fiery brightness of it was beginning to break through the clouds. The moon was still visible in the sky, and it hid between thin streaks of clouds.

After traversing miles and miles of nothingness, we finally stumbled upon a village. But something seemed peculiar about it. No civilians were around. As we got closer, I could tell why no one lived in them, they were old and abandoned. In a row, facing each other, they sat on their decrepit foundations; some of them creaking with every breeze.  The road was filled with mud and many tracks seemed to pass to and fro through it. How was that so?

Reinhold and his men looked straight ahead with indifference to what I considered unusual. We got closer to a massive abandoned church, and somehow, lights emerged from the houses close to it. My attention was drawn to Klayden when he started speaking. "How can people still live here?" he asked with slight disgust on his face.

Before we could discuss, our answers were answered. The sound of many men chattering was up ahead. We passed the church, and moving in front of us was a soldier holding the Seledianon flag of Unison. The sound of multiple feet squelching in mud came from behind the flag bearer. Approximately ten men followed behind.

 Approximately ten men followed behind