Act One- My first birthday

Dis1claimer: The world of Percy Jackson, its characters and settings are the copyrighted works of Rick Riordan and his publishing companies and affiliates. No profit was made from the writing of this story nor was any malice intended in any way, shape or form to the author or the actors/actresses who so brilliantly have brought them to life.This author is not responsible for underage readers. Please observe the ratings, warnings, and age of legal consent for your country.

Birthdays are always fun, no matter what age you're turning.

Though, I have to admit, I never understood why there are birthday parties for infants. I mean, we're tiny and can't remember any of this (Me being the exception). Sure, the cake is nice, so are the gifts, but it's basically just an excuse for Mãe to have a party.

In the afternoon, Mãe invited some of her friends from night classes and work, a few neighbours, and her boss. There were only two other babies in the crowd, and most of the other children were between 4 to 7 years old. So truly, I was only a decoration to be passed about through a crowd, being cooed at, like a round of Hot Potato.
There was a brief moment where Mãe put me down in a playpen with the other two babies, but I would prefer to be a decoration than being slobbered on by the snotty demons, so I immediately put up a small fuss, and Mãe snatched me back up.

I got told no less than 14 times about how quiet I am for a 12 month old, and "Have you gone to get her checked with a doctor?"

My glare was ineffective as Mãe fielded their question, firmly insisting that I'm just very quiet, and that I'm not deaf or mute.

The only time I actually was laughing and giggling was when I got served my slice of cake. Mãe had come out with this beautiful Cinderella-shaped carrot cake, covered in chocolate icing, and my squeals of delight were observed with amusement by the guests.

I got cake everywhere and on everything. Mãe just chuckled as she put me to wash in the kitchen sink, and set off to clean the chocolate off the TV.

All in all, a very nice birthday.