Act Two- I despise Capture the Flag

Disclaimer: The world of Percy Jackson, its characters and settings are the copyrighted works of Rick Riordan and his publishing companies and affiliates. No profit was made from the writing of this story nor was any malice intended in any way, shape or form to the author or the actors/actresses who so brilliantly have brought them to life.This author is not responsible for underage readers. Please observe the ratings, warnings, and age of legal consent for your country.

Capture the Flag was tonight and I'm dreading it so fucking much.

I have been mentally preparing for it all week and I still really didn't want to be called out as a daughter of Poseidon- isolated just for being born of a broken oath. I was already mourning lost friendships despite knowing that I made these friendships by being myself. I suppose I'll have confirmation later- if they're my real friends they wouldn't care less about parentage.

Travis suddenly looped his arm around my shoulders in a half hug. His big brother instincts must have notified him that something was wrong from the way he was looking at me in concern. "You okay Perce? You've looked sad all afternoon."

"It's just an irrational depressive episode, I'll probably be better tomorrow." I try to wave him off, but all it does is make Conner also pay attention to me.

"A depressive episode? Are you alright? Shouldn't you be taking antidepressants then?" he asked.

My irritation swelled for a second before I tapered it down by reminding myself that these two little kids were just worried about me. I shouldn't snap at people for being concerned.

"They're common. I get them every few weeks. No, I won't take antidepressants, I'm not compatible with the common brands and the obscure ones are too expensive. Either way, they'll just make things worse," I explain. "Don't make a big fuss, I've been dealing with this for years."***

Travis made eye contact and I had to force myself not to squirm at it. "Okay, but you'll tell us if it gets worse, right? Or at least you'll tell Luke."

"Yeah guys, I will." I gave them what I thought was a reassuring smile, but their faces told me I had failed horribly at it.

I turn back to my dinner just in time to hear Chiron blow the conch horn that signifies that it was time for Capture the Flag. My stomach dropped. I wanted to cry but instead, I stood silently at my table.

Campers yelled and cheered as Annabeth and two of her siblings ran into the pavilion carrying a silk banner. It was about ten feet long, glistening grey, with a painting of a barn owl above an olive tree. From the opposite side of the pavilion, Clarisse and her buddies ran in with another banner, of identical size, but gaudy red, painted with a bloody spear and a boar's head.

I turned to Luke and yelled over the noise, "So, those are the flags?"

"Yep."

"Do Ares and Athena always lead the teams?"

"Not always," he said. "But often enough."

"What happens if one wins the game?"

He grinned. "You'll see. First, we have to get the flag."

"Whose side are we on?"

He gave me a sly look as if he knew something I didn't- which he didn't. The scar on his face made him look almost evil in the torchlight, something that made me shiver and turn away.

"We've made a temporary alliance with Athena. Tonight, we're getting the flag from Ares, and you are going to help."

The teams were announced. Athena had made an alliance with Apollo and Hermes, the two biggest cabins. Apparently, privileges had been traded-shower times, chore schedules, the best slots for activities in order to win support.