Act Two- The Last Day of Summer; Reprise

Disclaimer: The world of Percy Jackson, its characters and settings are the copyrighted works of Rick Riordan and his publishing companies and affiliates. No profit was made from the writing of this story nor was any malice intended in any way, shape or form to the author or the actors/actresses who so brilliantly have brought them to life.This author is not responsible for underage readers. Please observe the ratings, warnings, and age of legal consent for your country.

Trigger Warning for discussions of Mental Health

We were welcomed back at camp as heroes.

The mere notion tasted so bitter in my mouth that I hid at the bottom of the lake while Luke and Annabeth wore laurel crowns, got a feast in their honour, and burnt their shrouds. It didn't feel right, being called a hero. I did too little and too much in all the wrong places and hurt far too many people.

I was barely able to greet Nico and Bianca when I saw them- just more reminders that I led them out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I'm pretty sure Luke and Annabeth would have interfered if they thought that I shouldn't. The truth is that Luke hated being called a hero just as much as I did and one of the fakest smiles in the world was displayed when Chiron greeted us on the hill. Annabeth was still young enough to enjoy it, but the frown that snuck its way onto her face occasionally said that she was thinking twice about all the festivities.

By the time I left the lake, it was night-time. Artemis and her chariot made her nightly journey as per usual, and I gave a half-hearted wave on my way back to Cabin Three. Without being caught, of course, I wasn't in the mood for potential shit-fests right now.

I sighed, slumping on the door.

"Well, Pai, I have to say: I really don't like being a hero," I told the empty air, picking myself up. "Why can't I be a side character? They don't get strong-armed their entire lives by so many people. If I was lucky, I might've even gotten a character development arc."

I didn't bother with a shower. Shucking off my jeans and shirt, I wasted no time crawling into bed in just my hoodie and some shorts.

My teddy bear was just where I left him, sitting calmly on my bed in the empty cabin.

Fucking hell, story of my life, mood.

I flopped beside him, grabbed him and held him close. He's a grounding point- I haven't gotten this much comfort from Ursinho in years.

My sleep was both perfect and restless, but somehow, it was warm.

-

I hate the crusty feeling that somehow builds up when you sleep. Urgh. I'm awake! And crusty, and wishing to never crawl out of bed. Ever.

I cuddled Ursinho. At least he understands me.

"And I'm not your protagonist, I'm not even my own," I whispered to him.

"I don't know anything, I don't even know what I don't know,
And if you look outside you'll see disintegrating trees,
The artificial way the sunlight bounces off the waxy leaves."

"That's a cool song."

I sat up so quickly I could feel the way adrenaline got my heart pumping. Riptide, sharp as ever, held pointed towards the voice.

There, standing in the doorway, was Nico and Bianca.

I relaxed, letting Riptide turn back into its new earring form. I swear, how did Canon Percy make it stay still?.

"Don't startle me like that," I grumbled at them.

They took it as an invitation to just walk right in.