Act Two- Into the Darkness, into the Brightness.

Disclaimer: The world of Percy Jackson, its characters and settings are the copyrighted works of Rick Riordan and his publishing companies and affiliates. No profit was made from the writing of this story nor was any malice intended in any way, shape or form to the author or the actors/actresses who so brilliantly have brought them to life.This author is not responsible for underage readers. Please observe the ratings, warnings, and age of legal consent for your country.

A gaping pit yawned before me. Around me, a cavern of inky darkness fell home to grey mist-like creatures. Churning around to a mindless rhythm, they seemed like nothing more than whispering rags of smoke, but I knew better. These were the spirits of the dead, and they were in my dreams.

They tugged at my clothes, trying to pull me back, but I felt compelled to walk forward to the very edge of the chasm.

Looking down made my stomach drop.

The pit stretched so wide and was so completely black, I knew it must be bottomless. Yet I had a feeling that something was trying to rise from the abyss, something huge and evil.

'The little hero,' an amused voice echoed far down in the darkness. 'Too weak, too young, but perhaps you will do. '

The voice felt ancient- cold and heavy. It wrapped around me like sheets of lead. Drowning- oh gods I'm drowning!

'They have misled you, girl,' it crooned. 'Barter with me. I will give you what you want.'

A shimmering image hovered over the void: my Mãe, frozen at the moment she'd dissolved in a shower of gold. Her face was distorted with pain as if the Minotaur were still squeezing her neck. Her eyes looked directly at me, pleading: Go!

I tried to cry out, but my voice wouldn't work.

Cold laughter echoed from the chasm.

An invisible force pulled me forward. It would drag me into the pit unless I stood firm.

'Help me rise, girl.' The voice became hungrier. 'Bring me the bolt. Strike a blow against the treacherous gods! '

The spirits of the dead whispered around me, 'No! Wake! '

The image of my mother began to fade. The thing in the pit tightened its unseen grip around me.

I realized it wasn't interested in pulling me in. It was using me to pull itself out.

'Good,' it murmured. 'Good.'

'Wake!' the dead whispered. 'Wake!'

-

Someone was shaking me.

My eyes opened, and it was daylight.

"Well," Annabeth said, "the zombie lives."

I was trembling from the dream. I could still feel the grip of the chasm monster- Kronos around my chest. God damn the guy was scary. If I had my way, I would be screaming and heading straight to the nearest large body of water. I couldn't- not in the face of Annabeth's annoyance and Luke's concern. "How long was I asleep?" I stifled a yawn instead, forcing my tremors to stop.

"Long enough for me to cook breakfast." Annabeth tossed me a bag of nacho-flavoured corn chips from her bag.

"Annabeth," Luke warned. "Please, I'm not awake enough to be pulling you two apart from a fight. Stop it with the sass."

The looks both of us gave him were identical looks of offence. "I'm not being sassy!" Annabeth cried.

"Bold of you to assume I can fight," I snipped.