Chapter 6

What could the king and queen do but agree? It took so much persuading - their only child - but, eventually, they were convinced. And so, with heavy hearts, they watched their son and heir disappear into the night.

"Aah, Roman!" Virgil said. "We have a problem!"

Roman skidded into the small bedroom that had been turned into a nursery for Pat. "What is it? Who's dead, who's hurt?!"

Virgil looked to be in a staring contest with the tiny toddler. Giggling, the toddler pointed at Virgil and declared, "Papa!"

"We have a problem!" Virgil repeated, his voice breaking from panic. He didn't even look up at Roman. "Love, fix this! Please!"

"How?! No magic, remember?" Roman said. "Wait, if you're 'papa'-"

"I'm not!"

"But if you are," Roman persisted, "then what am I?"

"Roman, that's not the problem at hand!" Virgil insisted. "Pat thinks I'm his dad!" Now he finally did look at Roman, gesturing wildly at the toddler. "How are we gonna explain this to him in 15 years?!"

"We've got 15 years, Virge." Roman said. "I'm sure it'll be fine."

"We-Wemus!" Pat said proudly. He looked up at Virgil and Roman, grinning at their frankly horrified faces. "Umple Wemus!" He repeated.

"Oh, come on!" Roman whined. "How come Re gets his name before I do?!"

"Cause he's always around." Virgil said. "He's completely obsessed with Pat. Speaking of, where is he?"

Roman shrugged. "Think he said something about picking flowers cause they make Pat happy."

"See? Exactly what I mean!"

It was true, Remus was completely enamoured with the little human prince. He almost came to think of him as a nephew. Almost.

Anyway, that was how Remus had ended up knee-deep in bluebells at the edge of the forest, picking as many as he could to put around Pat's room. The little 1 year old human loved flowers - they always made him giggle - and he loved blue. Bluebells were in season. It was perfect.

"Aw, on your knees already, Rem?" Remus froze and the smile vanished from his face. "Sweet. What's with the, uhm, human attire?"

Remus didn't look at Janus. He forced himself not to cause if he did, he'd probably take leave of his senses.

"What's wrong with wanting to wear human clothes?" He asked, a little sharply. "They're comfy."

"Hm, sure." Janus' tone was unconvinced and Remus could imagine him with an eyebrow raised, his lips pressed into a thin, unsure line. "What're you doing here, Rem? Shouldn't you be trying to protect the precious Prince Patton?"

"I've done my best." Remus said slowly.

"Yes, I heard about your little spell. Rather sweet," was Janus getting closer? "But you know it won't stop me. Didn't you say it yourself? Most powerful sorcerer in the land or something along those lines?"

Remus had. He'd said a lot worse than that to Janus.

"If you've come here to gloat, leave off." Remus insisted bluntly. "I'm doing something I like and you're not going put me off it."

"I wouldn't have taken you as the 'picking flowers' type." Janus said. He didn't sound sneery. Instead, he was almost curious. Remus closed his eyes and forced himself to breathe.

"Well, I'm not picking them for me." He said. "Little orphanage. On the edge of the forest. Wanted to liven up for the kids but didn't have the funds to do so."

"So that's the reason for the human clothes and bluebells?" Janus asked sceptically. Remus jumped up and whipped around to glare at him.

"Yeah. Wow, you've found out my whole miraculous plan. Fantastic." Remus snapped with venom. Janus regarded him coolly.

"Well, if that's how you feel about it," his voice was somehow as cold as his gaze, "I suppose I'll leave you to it. My whole evil plan was to take you back home and wine, dine and seduce you back to my side but oh, well."

A bluebell appeared in Janus' hand with a flick of his fingers. "I'm sure you remember what these mean." He tucked the bluebell behind Remus' ear. "Don't forget what you mean to me."

And like that, Janus was gone. Leaving Remus surprisingly empty and hating himself for it.

reactiontolife You're the one who's big on flower meanings. I know what it means, what d'you think?
Bye,
Blaize