Chapter 70

Pat hummed to himself as he wiped down the counter. Part of his chores was to help with keeping the house tidy and clean. He didn't like it very much - the cloth fibres got up his nose and the carbolic soap made his skin itch - but it was still good to find some part of joy in it.

Right now, that joy seemed to come from the song Logan had been singing a year or so ago. Pat was surprised he remember it this well after so long.

"What's that, kid?"

Pat glanced up and shrugged. "Just a song." He said, rinsing the cloth out in the sink.

"Yeah, but what kind of song?"

Pat shrugged again and didn't answer. He wrung the cloth out and flung it over the side of the sink. "Anyway, is that all I have to do?"

Remus scratched the back of his head. "Uhm-"

"Great, thanks." Before Remus could get another word in, Pat had shot past him and was already half-way up the stairs.

"Hey, wait a second!" Pat stopped and groaned. He turned around slowly. "What's going on with you?" Remus asked.

"Nothing!" Pat insisted. "Nothing's going on."

Remus raised an eyebrow. "You're sure? Because you're humming and you never do that and you're overly happy for some reason to be doing chores."

Pat shrugged. "Can't I just be happy because I'm happy?"

"Of course but-"

"Then there it is!" Pat turned to go back up the stairs but thought of something else. "Hey, Uncle Remus?"

"Hm?"

"You know that castle on the hill?" Pat sat down on the steps. "The old grey ruin?"

Pat saw Remus' back stiffen slightly. Remus sat down on the bench by the table. "Yeah?"

"Are you sure it's deserted?" Pat asked. He picked at the pad of his finger. "Cos I saw, like, light coming out of it and I think there was someone in there. With like," he made a gesture around his head, "long hair or something."

A dark shadow crossed Remus' face. It was something Pat hadn't seen before and it scared him slightly. Remus shook his head and looked back up at Pat.

"They were probably just messing around, whoever they were." He said. He stood up and rubbed his hands, like his was indecisive about something. "Just don't follow their example, yeah? Whole thing could come crashing down around you."

Remus pulled on his shoes distractedly. Pat stood up. "Where're you going?"

"Just out." Remus said. "I think you'll be fine on your own.  Don't burn the house down and I'll be back within the hour. I need to..." there was that dangerous look again, "I need to talk to an old friend."

Remus hopped over the river. He was absolutely fuming. Whatever Janus was planning, it had to stop. Now.

"Janus!" He snapped. There was a crack of thunder behind him. He whirled around. "Graves and ground bones, haven't you given the kid enough grief already?"

Janus fixed his glove lazily. He glanced up at Remus through his lashes. "What are you talking about, Rem?"

"You need to stop." Remus insisted. "That's what I'm talking about."

"Why should I?" Janus asked. "Because you care about him? You cared about me once, that didn't stop me."

"Because you know what it's like!"

"To be human?" Janus asked with disgust. He almost looked offended.

"To know what it's like to be scared!" Remus yelled. "To doubt yourself, to have to lie to people you care about." Janus opened his mouth. "And don't you dare say you don't care about anyone because I know that is a lie. You cared about things once. You cared about people once! You cared about me once, for elves' sake! So can you just find it in your heart to stop making the kid doubt himself?! I have to lie to him, to protect him from you. And it needs to stop now."

"That was very heart-felt, Rem," Janus said slowly, "but I still have no idea what you're talking about." He crossed his arms and leaned forward slightly. "Elaborate."

Remus glared at him, breathing heavily. Janus made a small noise of realisation.

"Oh, I get it!" He said. He pointed at Remus playfully, like this was all a joke. Like it was a game. "You think that because the prince is getting closer to finding out he's royalty, I'm expanding my control. Well, I promise you Rem, I'm not. That'd be far too normal and besides, the prophecy is already set. Why should I try and speed it up? I know it will happen and when it does, that's when I'll take my time to reveal all." He scrunched his nose and smiled. "Showmanship, that's all."

"Elven mischief, Janus, this isn't a game!" Some birds took startled flight at Remus' words. Janus' smile faded into a look of imperial intelligence.

"That's where you're wrong, Rem."

JANUS BE BACK!
Bye,
Blaize