Chapter 89

WARNING: Mention of blood

"Lo?!" Patton called, racing up the stairs. "Lo, where are you?"

"Up here! Come on, the fireworks are about to start soon. You won't want to miss it!"

The staircase ended in a room. Patton pushed the door open and rushed inside.

"Lo?" He turned around slowly. No one was there. Patton's smile faded. "Lo?"

The room was empty. Almost empty.

There was something in the corner of the room that Patton had... never seen before. It looked a bit like a chair with a tiny waterwheel stacked on top of it. Or maybe a table? Patton moved closer to try and get a better look.

Yeah, a table with a tiny waterwheel on top. It was made of cracked, dark wood and looked kind of threatening. There was a long teardrop-shaped thing opposite the waterwheel. It looked like the thing from his nightmare. The thing in the net.

Patton swallowed and stood up. "Lo?" He asked again.

"Honestly, I can't believe you fell for that." A voice by the door said. Patton turned around and stared at someone he hadn't seen for years.

The nightmare man was real and he was stood by Patton's only escape. He smiled. It wasn't a kind smile.

"Humans are so quick to believe anything." He shook his head. "Give them hope and they'll do anything for it."

Patton took a step back and-

"Ouch!" Patton pulled his hand off the sharp teardrop. He looked down at his palm. Right in the centre was a small drop of dark blood. He'd pricked himself.

Sluggishly, he wiped the drop of blood away and watched it smear across his palm. What was going on? It was like a marshy fog had descended over his brain...

"Are you alright, Pat?" Patton looked up at the sound of Logan's voice. There was only the nightmare man, grinning. When he next spoke, it was Logan's voice that came out of his mouth. "Maybe you should lie down."

Patton tried to move but somehow found himself on the floor. He was so tired...

No! He wouldn't fall asleep! He wouldn't!

Patton blinked and shook his head slowly. "Aw, trying to fight it? How sweet..." The nightmare man walked over to him. Patton tried to push himself away but he was too weak. So tired...

"There's no fighting this, your Highness." The nightmare man said gently. "Oh, don't be frightened. You won't remember anything when you wake up." He smiled, baring his teeth.

"I won't... I won't..." Patton insisted. His voice was so feeble and he was so tired. He couldn't force himself to stand. He could barely force his eyes open. He was too tired. Closing his eyes wouldn't hurt, would it?

"Have sweet dreams, your Highness." Janus said as the prince's head slumped onto his chest. "They're all you'll be having for a very long time."

Logan jumped off Sampson's back and tied him to the tree. He straightened his waistcoat and smoothed down his hair.

"How do I look?" He asked nervously. Sampson - being a horse - didn't pass judgement and instead snorted a little. Logan's face fell, unimpressed.

"You could at least try to be a little more supportive." He shook his head and dusted down his shirt sleeves. "Whatever. Stay there and stay quiet, yes?"

Sampson turned his head away. Logan sighed and turned to the clearing.

There was a candle flickering in the top window on the right. Logan supposed that was Pat's bedroom.

Pat would be so excited to see him! Logan was excited himself. He could barely contain himself as he walked over to the door. Nervousness and excitement were fizzing about inside him and colliding like fireworks, creating brilliant sparks.

The first day of the rest of his life with Pat. He couldn't wait.

Logan glanced around the dark clearing. No one was there apart from Sampson. He turned back to the door and took a breath.

Knock, knock, knock.

The door opened into blackness.

"Thank God you're here." Pat said. "I was honestly kinda worried you weren't gonna come."

"Why wouldn't I?" Logan hesitated. "Pat, could you possibly get a light?"

"My dads're asleep." Pat explained. "I can't risk waking them."

"Oh. Right." Logan took a breath and stepped inside the dark house.

The door slammed behind him. Before he could even turn, something grabbed his hands and bound them behind his back. He was kicked to his knees.

He heard his glasses clatter and saw a candle light up the room.

"My, my." Someone picked up his glasses and gently pushed them back onto his face. He blinked and glared up at whoever held the candle.

His eyes widened as he saw them. Green scales similar to a snake's skin travelled down their face to their neck. They smiled at him.

"My, my," they said again, "I do wish I was Prince Patton. Then I would marry such a beauty as you..."

Logan took a breath and spat in their face. They stopped dead still, a look of shock crossing their face. They laughed and Logan knew he'd made a mistake.

"Take him away." They snapped, wiping the spit off their face with a flick of a hand. Logan was forced to his feet by unseen hands and the door swung open. "But be careful with the precious cargo. Don't damage him."

"What've you done with Pat?!" Logan yelled. "Pat?! Pat! Where are you?! Pat! Pat! Pat!"

The person sighed and rubbed their temples. "So annoying. Someone ought to gag you." They waved their hand and Logan's cries were silenced by a rag appeared around his mouth.

Logan tried kicking out at whoever was dragging him away but his foot connected with thin air. He kicked at the grass, struggling.

"You're not as much of a coward as I took you for." The person said. "Maybe this will calm your nerve." They whacked him hard and the stars went out.

Chapter 89! Give it up for Chapter 89! It finally fecking happened!
Bye,
Blaize