Chapter 57

Pat couldn't remember the market ever being this loud. It seemed like everyone in the entire world had come out, only to be packed into this tiny market. The stalls were overflowing, money and goods changing hands as fast as you could blink. Kids only coming up to Pat's hip ran about in the street, shrieking and chasing after each other. The air was full of different smells (both sweet and sour) and a strange harmony of babbling, excited voices.

"Hey, Uncle Remus?" Pat asked. "What's going on here?"

Remus glanced up from unpacking their wares. "Don't know, kid." He said. "Hey, could you grab the other box?"

Pat grabbed the box and handed it to Remus. He dusted his hands together absently, staring around at the crowded market. Someone had erected a hasty stool to stand on.

"Uncle Remus? There's a thing."

"A thing?" Remus rested the box on the edge of the stall. Pat pointed.

"A thing! Um..." He waggled his hand while trying to find the right words. "A stand thing!"

"Oh, a pedestal?"

Pat shrugged. "Must be a royal declaration or something." Remus said casually. Pat saw how his eyes widened in almost panic but didn't question it. He was used to his uncle being extra jumpy in town.

The cacophony of loud voices hushed as someone stepped up to the pedestal.

"Pat, could you just unpack these please?" Remus asked quietly.

"Sure." Pat grinned. He liked doing work for the stall. Even if it was just unpacking boxes.

"Hear ye, hear ye." The voice of the speaker rang out. They shook their red hair out of their eyes and opened the scroll. "In attempts to find King Stephen's son, a charity festival will be held at the palace. It is to last three days and three nights and any person of high or low standing in Aristal may make an appearance."

A few murmurs rippled through the crowd. Pat glanced up from unpacking the yo-yos and spinning tops.

Logan was Prince of Aristal, wasn't he? Yeah... And a charity event at the palace might mean that Pat could see him again.

It wasn't exactly like Pat was missing Logan. He just... thought about him all the time. And when  he did think of Logan, it felt like his heart was swelling so large it was pushing his ribs apart.

"Hey, Uncle Remus?" Pat asked over the crier declaring more things from the palace. Remus looked around at him. "Could we go to the festival?"

Remus hesitated. "No, kid."

"Why not?" Pat asked. He kept his eyes cast down on the toys. "It's a thing to help find someone. And it said anyone of high or low standing."

"From Aristal." Remus added. "We're not from Aristal."

"I'm sure they wouldn't mind." Pat muttered.

"Even if we were allowed to go, your papa would have a fit." Remus said. "Why d'you want to go, anyway?"

Pat shrugged quickly. "Dunno." He lied. "Just sounds interesting."

Remus surveyed him for a while. "It's that boy, isn't it?" He asked. "That prince." Pat opened his mouth to deny it. "Don't even try lie, you're blushing bright red." Remus rolled his eyes and shook head. "Look, kid, I'm going to tell you a secret." He leaned forward, over the counter. "Whatever that prince has told you - if he's promised you anything - don't believe it. It's a lie."

"How d'you know that?" Pat asked. He pushed his glasses up his nose and looked away.

"Because someone promised me the same things once." Remus said. Pat glanced back at him in shock. "They promise me everything and then took it all away again. People like them, like this prince, people with power can't be trusted. Okay, kid?"

Pat didn't reply. Remus sighed, all the anger melting away from his face. "Kid, I'm not trying to scare you." He said gently. "I'm just saying be careful. Don't give too much to people you don't fully know." He turned back to the crowd. "And you're not going to that festival."

Well, would you look at that? Some random plot point I pulled out of thin air! Let's see if this holds in the story, huh?
Bye,
Blaize