Chapter 86

Patton didn't know what to expect when he walked into the kingdom - his kingdom, he supposed - of Iredia. What he definitely wasn't expecting was a massive festival.

There was music playing, people laughing, flags flying. Murals were painted on every available surface, long strings of bunting hung from house to house, children ran about and chased each other with sparklers and toffee apples while their parents scolded them. Food carts and stalls were set up on every street corner, selling everything from fiery whiskey to sugary popcorn. People danced in the street, taking the hands of strangers and pulling them into a growing circle of dancers.

Patton blinked and rubbed his eyes, sure he was seeing this wrong. What was the occasion?

A freckled boy (probably not any older than 14) with a satchel full of tiny flags ran over to Patton. "Flag for the prince's return?" He asked rapidly, holding one out to Patton.

"Oh, I don't have any money." Patton said, putting his hands up. The boy shook his head like Patton had missed a great joke.

"No, they're free. For the prince's return." He repeated, holding the flag out to Patton again.

"Why?"

"Pardon?"

"Why're they free?"

The boy blinked at him, messy blonde hair flopping over one eye. "Because that's the magic of the day." He said, like Patton was missing something. To be honest, Patton was.

"I don't get it." Patton said. He glanced over at Roman, who'd looked back to see why Patton had stopped walking. Roman stepped over to help Patton.

"We're new in town." He explained. The boy made a loud 'oh' noise and his eyes went wide.

"Well," he said with the excitement of someone who was finally allowed to show off their knowledge, "16 years ago this very day, the prince went missing. The king and queen promised that in 16 years, the family would be complete again. Every year, we've held a party. It's always been sorta sad, I guess." He was practically fizzing with excitement now. "But now, today, it's been 16 years. The prince is returning! That's why we're holding this big festival." He turned and gestured to the street. "To show us his support."

Patton blinked. "Sorry, how old are you?"

"I'm 12 in three weeks." The boy said proudly.

"So why do you care?"

"Pardon?"

"Why do you care about the prince?" Patton asked. "He was gone 5 years or so before you were even born. Why bother?"

The boy's mouth fell open like Patton had just said that the Earth was flat or that the sky didn't exist. He blinked, trying to formulate an answer. Guilt slid down into his gut like an ice cube.

"Sorry." He said. "I didn't mean to be rude. I'm just... surprised, I guess."

"It's fine." The boy shrugged. "Mum says that people are always surprised that our home's so happy and that we actually like our monarchy." He grinned and handed Patton the flag. "If you're staying, you'll want this." His grin slid to a softer smile. "The king and queen have done so much for us and brought us so much happiness. It's only fair that they get their share of happiness back."

Patton nodded, the answer not making the guilt lessen at all. "Thank you, um-"

"Freddie." The boy tipped an imaginary hat to Patton. "Freddie Markson, at your service." Patton nodded.

"Thanks."

"And you?" Freddie asked.

"We're nobody." Roman said quickly. Freddie looked at him.

"No one's a nobody here." He said simply. With another grin at Patton, he turned on his heel and ran back into the crowd, yelling about flags for the prince's return.

Patton glanced down at the flag in his hand dumbly. All this for the prince. All this... for him. It was strange. So many people loved him and yet, they'd never met him. The sudden feeling of letting everyone down overwhelmed him and brought tears to his eyes.

"Patton," Roman said, quietly so no one would overhear, "we need to go. Time's getting on."

Patton scrubbed at his eyes viciously and nodded. "Hey, don't cry." Roman hesitated and then put his arm around Patton's shoulder. Patton forced himself not to lean into it, like he would've done with a father's touch. "It's going to be alright, I promise. You're going to be great, everyone's going to love you."

"I'm going to let everybody down." Patton said, his voice trailing off into a whisper at the effort to keep his tears at bay.

"You're not going to let anyone down." Roman said firmly. "I promise."

Patton swallowed back his tears. "How do I know that? How do I know you're telling the truth?" He looked up at Roman's face. Roman looked hurt. Patton tried not to feel too much about that. "You couldn't even tell me the truth about not being my real dad."

OUCH!
Also, I said earlier that this book was going to be as long as Monte Cristo. That is a challenge now.
Bye,
Blaize