Chapter 15

"Okay, one story." Remus said, sitting down at the foot of Pat's bed. "You gave us all quite a fright out there."

Pat's smile faded. "I'm sorry." He muttered.

"There's nothing to apologise for." Remus said firmly. "We're just all tired, okay? Now, what story do you want?"

"Hm..." Pat looked up at the ceiling as he thought. He looked back at Remus, grinning excitedly. "How did Dada meet Papa?"

Remus groaned and rolled his eyes. "You could not have chosen a more boring story!" He said candidly. Pat giggled. "You really want to listen to that?" Pat nodded. "Ugh, fine. Take your glasses off and make sure you're comfortable."

Pat placed his glasses on the small table beside him and wriggled down in bed. When he was comfortable, he nodded at Remus. Remus blew a breath up through his fringe.

"Right, how Dada met Papa... how to start." He bit his tongue, thinking. "Okay, I've got it. Once upon a time, there was a prince who-"

"Hey, no, a real story!" Pat protested. Remus blinked at him.

"This is a real story." He said. "Just... adorned a little. Now, do you want to listen or not?"

"I wanna listen!" Pat insisted. "Just make sure it's real."

Remus rolled his eyes. "Fine, bossy boots!" Pat giggled. "Okay, once upon a time, there was indeed a prince who lived in a far-off land. Now, this prince had lots of people who loved him. He had friends and subjects and even a brother, who all cared about him a lot. However, the prince always felt... lonely."

"This was Dada?" Pat asked.

"Yes." Remus confirmed. Pat's brow furrowed.

"Why was Dada so lonely if there were always people who loved him?" He asked. Remus shrugged.

"I never knew." He admitted. "I suppose no one touched him in his heart."

"But he loves you too, doesn't he?" Pat asked. "You're his brother."

"Yeah but I guess familial love's different." Remus said. "Anyway, the story. Now, one day a forgeigner came to the kingdom."

"Papa!" Pat crowed excitedly.

"Mhm. This forgeigner was also a prince and so Prince Roman welcomed him which his brother said was a very bad idea but the prince never listened to his brother anyway so it was fine." Remus said all in a rush. Pat giggled. "Anyway, the forgeign prince - Prince Virgil - stayed at the castle and he and Prince Roman got very close very fast. They spent all their time together and you could say it was love at first sight, how quickly they fell in love. Around Prince Virgil... Prince Roman didn't feel lonely anymore."

Pat grinned contentedly. "Did they live happily ever after?" He asked, a surprisingly earnest look in his eyes.

"You'll just have to wait and find out." Remus said. "Because a dark force had fallen over Prince Virgil's kingdom and he had to go back to protect his people." If Pat noticed the way Remus' face closed off slightly, he didn't point it out. "Prince Roman and his brother offered to go help so, all together, they went to defeat this dark force."

"What was it?" Pat asked, eyes wide. Remus hesitated.

"They never found out." He said. It wasn't exactly a lie. "But they defeated the dark force and its leader retreated, back to his castle."

"What happened to him?" Pat asked.

"What?"

"The leader of the darkness!" Pat said like it was obvious. "What happened to him? Did he meet his match? Was he vanquished?"

"They thought he was." Remus said. "At least, he wasn't making any moves to hurt anyone at the moment so... they were safe." Remus cleared his throat slightly. "Anyway, Prince Roman and Prince Virgil started going out together officially and the Council of Princes - yes, there's a Council of Princes, don't look at me like that - were so impressed that they offered the three princes seats in their little... club."

"And?"

"And the three princes accepted, the end. Oh, and they all lived Happily Ever After." Remus said. "Now, that's the story, time for you to go to sleep, kid."

Pat sighed but rolled over onto his side, hugging Smoke close to his chest. "Uncle Remus?" He asked sleepily.

"Yeah, kid?"

"You and Papa an-and Dada..." he yawned, "you aren't actually princes, are you?"

Remus grinned at the sleepy now ten year old. "Course not, kid. Like I said, adorned."

Oooh, I want to write another story now...
reactiontolife, HELP ME!
Bye,
Blaize