Chapter 7

"Hey, Ro?" Remus asked shakily. "We have a problem?"

"Everyone seems to have a problem today, what-" Roman stopped as he turned around to face his brother. "Hey, seems like we do have a problem. What happened?"

Remus took a breath. "I think Janus knows." He said slowly. "Or at least, suspects something."

Roman's eyes widened. "Virge! We have a problem!" He called up.

"Yeah? I'm a bit busy at the moment!" Virgil called back. "No, Pat, we don't eat that! That's not good."

"It's important." Remus added. There was silence from Pat's room.

"Fine, I'll be down in three minutes!" Virgil said. "Might as well start talking to Roman about it. He'll probably explode if you don't tell him before you tell me. He can get a little jealous."

Roman glared like he was trying to glare through the wall at Virgil.

"What's that meant to be about?" Remus asked.

"Nothing." Roman said quickly. "Anyway," he sat down at the table, "tell me everything."

"-and I don't think he knows really but he definitely suspects something." Remus finished. He looked down at his hands, twisted in his lap.

Silence. Remus didn't look up. "Is this the part where I apologise?" He asked quietly.

"Re-" Roman was cut off by a small thump and a giggle from the stairs. All three fairies looked up.

Pat was sat with his back to the stairs, clapping his hands and giggling. He looked up at the three fairies at the table and pointed at them, breaking into peals of excited laughter. Before anyone else could move, Remus was up and by Pat's side.

"Hey, kid." He said softly. "How'd you get down there."

Pat giggled. Remus picked him up carefully. "Did you climb down?" He asked. "Honestly, that's really clever. You did give us all quite a fright, though-"

"Umple Wemus!" Pat interrupted joyfully. "Umple Wemus, Umple Wemus, Umple Wemus!"

Remus stared at the baby, his mouth hanging open. Slowly, the corners of his mouth turned up in a surprised smile.

"Yeah, I'm Remus." He said quietly.

"It's all he's been able to cry since this morning." Roman said, sounding a little bitter. "That and 'Papa' which is Virgil."

Remus laughed quietly, still gazing down at the baby in his arms. "Aw, you jealous, Ro?"

"Me? Jealous of you two? Ridiculous!" Roman couldn't have made it more obvious if he tried.

"Hey, you wanna know what I got for you while I was out?" Remus asked Pat. "I got loads of bluebells for you. Can you say that? Bluebell. Blue-bell."

"Umple Wemus!" Pat repeated. Remus shook his head, smiling fondly.

"Close enough, we'll get there." He said. "Anyway," Remus looked up at Virgil and Roman, "I'm gonna take Pat back upstairs and why are you looking at me like that?"

Virgil was trying (and failing) to hide the grin on his face and Roman was smothering giggles in his hands. "Seriously, what?" Remus asked.

"Nothing. Nothing at all." Virgil said quickly.

"You're laughing at me like I've got a cock's head. So what is it?" Remus asked.

"Nothing." Roman insisted. "Just... the way you talk to Pat-"

"Oh, hush it, Ro." Remus said, rolling his eyes. "If I talked to him like I talked to you two, poor thing would cry his eyes out. You have to have a way with children."

"Yeah, 'a way'."

"Why's that so sceptical?" Remus asked. Virgil shrugged.

"Your 'way with children' is usually to scare the living daylights out of them." He said. "But with Pat, it's almost like you care about him."

Remus glared at him. He whisked his basket off the table and stormed up the stairs. Roman and Virgil took one look at each other and burst out laughing.

"It's almost like you care about him. Meh, meh, meh-meh!" Remus mimicked. "Well, I don't! So there!"

Pat's giggle made him look up. Pat was lying in his cradle, pulling at his feet and giggling up at Remus.

"Hey, can you keep a secret?" He asked Pat quietly. "That means you tell no one, okay?" He put a finger to his lips and Pat copied, giggling all the while. "Okay, I'll take that as a yes. Now, don't tell Virgil or Ro but," he lowered his voice, "I actually do care about you. Got it? That doesn't leave this room."

Remus and Pat's relationship is just... *inhuman noises*
I love it a lot.
Bye,
Blaize