Chapter 73

Pat stared out of the window in boredom. It was just one of those days. Everything he tried was so boring and he couldn't bring himself to do anything else.

He'd tried to read a book. Boring!

He'd tried to do his Maths. Boring!

He'd tried to pester Uncle Remus into telling him a story or something. Even that was boring!

"Uncle Remus, can I go out to check for black berries?" He asked.

"Nope."

"Why not?"

Remus looked up at him. "Because it's too early and you're hurt."

Pat ran his thumb over his injured finger. "It's not that bad." He said moodily. He crossed his arms and sighed. "I'm bored."

"Then find something to do." Pat rolled his eyes and pushed his glasses up his nose.

"But there's nothing to do."

"How about your sums?" Remus asked, nodding his head towards Pat's discarded Maths book. "That's something to do."

"Yeah but it's boring!" Pat whined. "And it's all too easy, I can't be bothered."

"If it's too easy, I can give you some new sums." Remus said, pushing a pot into a cupboard. "Or you could always help me with the washing up?"

Pat slid to the floor and let out a groan that sounded like his entire life was ending. He got up off the floor and trooped moodily over to the table. He sat down and stared at his sums.

"This is stupid." He declared. "I should be out with Dad, learning the trade."

"Yes because that worked so well last time." Remus shook his head. "Why don't you learn Virgil's trade instead? It's a lot safer and you already know how to sew. Besides, I thought you wanted to be a toy maker."

Pat shrugged, his head on the table. He stood the pencil up on its point and tried to make it balance. "I do but... I don't know, I dunno how to get started."

"That is a conversation for you and your papa, I wouldn't know where to start." Remus tapped the counter. "Come on, sums."

Pat sighed and pushed himself away from the table. He sat up a little straighter, getting an idea. He jumped up and ran upstairs. He grabbed Smoke and ran back down quickly.

"Papa wouldn't mind if took some scrap material, would he?" He asked.

"Um-"

"Great!" Pat dove for Virgil's scrap material box, pulling out different scraps of silk and felt and rags. Eventually, he settled upon a fairly unused, small square of dark purple felt and some grey satin-like material.

"Perfect!" Pat looked up at Remus, grinning. "Do you know where Papa keeps his fastenings? Buttons and that?"

Remus blinked at him but decided not to question it. "By the stairs, third cupboard." He said, nodding towards it.

Pat was off like a shot, already sifting through the buttons and thin ribbons before Remus even had time to blink.

He set everything down on the table and grabbed a tape measure. Remus really had to ask.

"What're you doing, kid?"

"Making Smoke a cape!" Pat explained excitedly. "She deserves it by now! Been protecting me and us and this place for 10 years."

Remus thought about telling him to finish his sums but decided against it. Let the kid have his fun.

"How's she gonna fly with it, though?" He asked.

"It's gonna fall just between her wings, duh!" Pat said, giggling and scribbling down measurements. "Then, when she flies, everyone will know she's a superhero dragon and not a big scary one."

"Right, course." Just because he let the kid have his fun, doesn't mean he had to understand. Pat whistled through his teeth as he started marking out the material.

Remus watched him for a few seconds, something sad cutting through his heart. Might as well remember Pat the woodcutter's son now, there wasn't going to be much of that left in a few months.

Sometimes Remus wished he could learn to stop time. Just for a little bit.

*Slipping Through My Fingers plays in the distance*
Did not mean for it to end on such a sad note, oof
Bye,
Blaize