Chapter 85

Logan took another glance around his room. What did he need? He had spare clothes, books, pen and paper, a lantern and his knife. Was that all he needed? It seemed such a small amount for running away.

Money? Did he need money?

"It wouldn't hurt to get any." He reasoned. He skidded over to his vanity, pulling open the drawers haphazardly. He knew he had a pouch of his pocket money, if only he could just find it-

There was a knock at his door. "Logan?" Oscar whined. "We gotta go! Dad says we're going to be late!"

Logan stared at his bed with wide eyes. His bag was half open, spilling things out onto his covers. Oscar knocked again.

"Logan? What's taking so long?" He called. "Can I come in?"

"Shit." Logan hissed. He ran across the room and swept everything off his bed with a swipe of his arm. He kicked it all under the bed and grabbed a book.

"Logan?" Oscar asked again. "Are you dead?"

Logan threw himself down on his bed and opened the book on a random page, trying to look relaxed. "What?" He called back.

"Jesus, finally!" Oscar sighed. "Can I come in?"

"Fine." Logan watched the door open before glancing back at his book quickly. He heard Oscar sigh.

"Honestly, you and your stupid books." He said. "This is an important dinner, Logan! And you're gonna make us late because of... Who is it this time?"

"Porthos, Aramis, Athos and d'Artagnan." Logan said, recognising the writing as The Three Musketeers.

"Because of them." Oscar paused. "Haven't you read that one already? I thought you had, like, a super long read list?"

Logan shrugged and got up off his bed. "Are we going or what?"

"You can't go like that." Oscar said.

"Why not?" Logan looked perfectly respectable. Sure, a little simple but it was just a dinner.

"It's with Ax's family." Oscar hissed, like it was a big secret he was in love with the other royal. "I've got to make a good impression."

"Yes, you do. I don't." Logan shooed him out. "Let's go. Aren't we going to be late or something?"

"Logan-"

"What?"

Oscar stopped and sighed. He dropped his voice. "Dad'll see the bag if you keep it under your bed. Hide it somewhere behind the door. And what's your plan for getting out?"

"What?!"

"For getting out." Oscar repeated. "You know, sneaking out."

"Servants quarters?" Logan asked. Oscar nodded slowly.

"I'll get Havers to give staff a night off." Oscar patted him on the shoulder. "Make sure you don't tie Sampson up properly. It'll be a lot easier to untie him then."

Logan shook his head in confusion. "Why're you helping me?" He asked. "Aren't you going to go run to father or something?"

Oscar shook his head slightly. "You're my brother." He said, as if that explained everything. "And, as annoying as you are, I've got to look out for you, don't I? Repay the favour or whatever."

Logan blinked in shock. "Right." He said shortly. "Thanks."

"Just know you're welcome back." Oscar said. "If stuff doesn't ever work out. But, if it does... write to me, won't you?" He gave Logan a small punch on the arm. "I'll miss you, dumbarse."

Logan laughed under his breath. "Sure." He shrugged. "Thanks. Again."

"Eh, it's nothing." Oscar rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet. "Now come on, you're holding us up." And he was back to being stupid old Oscar.

Patton stared at himself in the mirror. Everything had changed and yet he looked so, well, so the same. It was weird.

He loved the dress. He loved the way it twirled around his feet and he loved the feeling of the pleats against his hand. He loved the structured feeling of the bodice but how it also let him breathe. The tailor in him was making measurements and taking notes on what stitching would go there and how he'd sew this.

But he supposed that would never happen now.

Patton wiped his eyes quickly before he could cry again. He took a breath and straightened his back.

"If Lo can be a prince, then so can I." He whispered to himself. "Can't be that hard." His lower lip trembled but he clenched his jaw to stop it. "I can do this. Definitely." He swallowed hard.

He might be able to do this but he really, really didn't want to.

There was Remus' knock on the door. Patton lifted his head and swallowed again.

"Come in." He said, his voice wavering. Remus popped his head around the door.

"Hey, Patton." He was trying to sound cheery but it sounded strained. Not even Uncle- Not even Remus was that good of an actor. "You look great. It's time to go."

Patton took a shaky breath and turned away from the mirror. He felt like he was being walked to his death.

"You ready?" Remus asked. The question was so stupid, of course Patton wasn't ready.

Patton nodded, keeping his eyes on the floor. He picked up his bag and pulled it over his shoulder. "Let's go."

This is even hurting me a little. Damn. I haven't written good angst in a long while, this is fun.
Bye,
Blaize