Chapter 99

Logan reached down and picked up one of the flowers that had fallen from a thorn. As he held it, a beam of gold struck it. Shielding his eyes with his sword, he looked up.

The carpet of white petals he'd left in his wake had been dyed gold. Rays of sunlight so bright they were almost white peaked over the hill at him. Pinks and oranges were slowly bleeding into the black sky, which was quickly lightening. Sunrise.

What if he was running out of time?

Logan dropped the rose and clasped both hands around his sword. He slashed the thorns in half. They fell to the ground, shrivelled, and cracked under his feet. With an almost silent whisper, he could hear the flowers fall to the ground behind him.

He didn't have time to appreciate their beauty anymore. He needed to get to Patton before it was too late.

Iredia was eerily quiet. No wind could penetrate through the forest of thorns all around so the flags and bunting strung up hung silent and sad.

Logan's breathing was too loud in his ears. The tip of his sword dragged along the cobbled floor, making a scraping sound that would've been hidden under the usual sounds of Iredia but was like a scream in this silence.

He'd been to Iredia many times before. Every time, there had been buskers, musicians and happy listeners lining the streets. He'd always thought it too crowded. He'd hated it.

Now, he would've given for anything - any sound - to mask the noise of his own footsteps.

Where was everyone, anyway?

Windows were open and unshuttered. Inside, Logan could see figures slumped in chairs, on the floor, on sofas, everywhere. Some doors hung open, people collapsed in the door frames. It was like everyone had suddenly... died.

Carefully, Logan approached one of the houses. A young boy with freckles and floppy blonde hair was lying in the door way, a bunch of flags clutched loosely in his hand. Logan watched the steady rise and fall of his chest for a second. He was just asleep. Good.

What had happened, though? Had Patton's curse had some sort of knock-on effect, somehow?

Logan didn't know. If he was honest, he didn't care to find out.

Maybe the castle would be more lively. Logan knew the way off by heart.

He started to run.

Logan was by no means an athlete. He'd never needed to run, he'd never learnt to build up the stamina. Even in the fairly light clothes he was wearing (in order that he could run away - Lord, that seemed like years ago), he was out of breath when he reached the castle. Maybe it had something to do with the massive sword he was dragging behind him but somehow, he thought it wouldn't have made much difference.

If possible, the castle was even quieter than the streets. Logan tipped his head right back and stared up at the turrets. He groaned.

Yes, true love was worth fighting for. But was it really worth climbing all those stairs?

This was for Patton. This was for Patton. Patton would do the same for him. Patton would do the same and so much more.

Patton would do everything for him. Patton wasn't selfish.

Logan took a breath, steadied himself, and stepped into the castle.

There was no one there.

Logan supposed the king and queen must've given the servants a day off for the festival. Taking a moment to orient himself, he headed for the throne room.

There were the king and queen, both asleep on their thrones. The queen's hand had fallen onto the arm of the king's throne. Had they been holding hands when the curse took hold?

Logan passed the two sleeping figures, trying to be as quiet as possible. He chose the smallest, most inconsequential door he could find and opened it.

It was a cupboard.

"Of course." Logan sighed and shut the door. He cleared his throat and looked around. "Ro-Roman?" His voice sounded very loud and squeaky in his own ears. "Any help?"

"Princey's not here right now." Logan jumped as a figure materialised in the main entrance to the throne room. They crossed their arms and leaned against the wall, the epitome of not caring. Even from far away, Logan could see their make-up was streaked with dried tears.

"I'm Virgil." They said. "Are you going to help Patton?"

Logan pushed his shoulders back. "I'm going to try."

"Try isn't good enough." Virgil said coldly. Logan dropped his gaze to the floor.

"I want to." He said. He looked back up at Virgil, feeling something surprisingly fierce spark inside of him. "I'll do anything for him."

Virgil surveyed him in silence for a minute. Logan had the very odd feeling he was staring into his soul.

"You'd better follow me then."

*aggressively shakes my Brain* There can't be much left in this ticker, come on!
Bye,
Blaize