Chapter 48

The day was clouded over and muggy. The sunny spell had come to an end far too early and rain was setting in. You could feel it, hanging heavy in the air. Like a promise. The promise of rain.

The weather was enough to put anyone in a bad mood. The heat made your shirt stick to your back and the day was airless, like someone had squeezed the breeze out of the atmosphere.

Pat was feeling odd for all sorts of reasons. Reason one, the weather. Reason two, Logan.

Logan. Did he actually mean to run away? With Pat or without?

The thought of running away with Logan made Pat's heart do weird fluttery things he put down to anxiety. Everything that heart did whenever he thought of Logan seemed to be anxiety.

Pat tapped his hands on the ground. He didn't have a watch but he was sure he'd waited here for ages. Maybe Logan wasn't coming today. He'd probably been held up at the castle or something.

"Hi, hello, I'm late, I know, I'm sorry." Almost like he'd been summoned, Logan was there. "Oscar was giving me grief." He ran a hand through his hair before patting it down quickly, grinning awkwardly.

Pat knew he was probably staring. And that it was rude to stare. But this was the first time he'd seen Logan properly after realising... well, what he'd realised. And he really couldn't help it.

Because although Logan was royalty, there was something so normal about him. Something about the way he carried himself and moved. Like a dancer. And he just seemed... Pat couldn't explain it, there was just something about him.

"You got my letter, I see." Logan said, gesturing. Pat stared down at his own hand dumbly, as if he'd never seen it before. He shook his head slightly, his thoughts catching up with what Logan had said.

"Oh. Yeah!" Pat laughed a little at himself. He was sure he was pink in the face. "Okay, first of all, are you sure? Like, are you sure you want to run away with me? Don't you think you'd get tired?"

"Of you?" Logan asked. Pat nodded.

Logan hesitated and then sat down next to Pat. He took Pat's hand, a quick glance asking for consent and a quicker one giving it. "Pat," he said slowly, "I could never get bored of you. You are the most intelligent, funny, bubbly, attentive person I know. How could I ever get bored of that?"

Pat smiled and looked down shyly. If he hadn't been pink in the face before, he definitely was now. "Besides," Logan said, "that would suggest you'd want to run with me which I can't imagine-"

"Why?"

Logan opened his mouth to reply but nothing came out. He closed his mouth, swallowed and tried again. "Because... Well, because..." He sighed and looked away. "Because your life sounds incredible. You have a loving family, a nice home, a routine, a lively-hood. Why would you give that all up for some prince you met in the woods?"

"Cos you're not just 'some prince'." Pat said fiercely. "You're... You're my best friend. My only friend! And yeah, I have a routine and a life and everything but it's boring. It's normal. I've lived that life for 13 years of my life and I'm going to live it for 3 more and, yeah, I wouldn't swap it for anything but I want an adventure! An adventure with you!"

Logan scoffed lightly. "I'd hardly call myself an adventure."

"Well I would!" Pat drew himself up, straightening his back and putting on his best stern face. "So there." He immediately ruined the effect by breaking down into giggles. Logan laughed and rolled his eyes.

He looked away and pushed his glasses up his nose. "This must be why I love you."

Pat stared at Logan, his mouth falling open. "What?"

Excuse me while I go have a fanboy moment.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Thank you
Bye,
Blaize