Chapter 47

Pat probably shouldn't be following his only friend through the trees like some sort of evil spirit. He should probably just leave him alone. Whatever Logan was doing, wherever he was going, it felt private somehow. Pat felt dirty for looking in on it.

Maybe he could go back and sit with Sampson where Logan had tied him in the forest. Make sure he didn't get stolen.

Or maybe he could go and practice skipping stones further down the river. Maybe he should even go home. He'd probably been gone too long.

Besides, following through trees was a lot more difficult than stories of Robin Hood had made it seem. It was a painful, achy, nervous business that was mostly made up of praying you've got the size of the branch right.

Pat realised Logan had stopped. What on Earth was he doing?

Logan was faffing around the piece of paper he'd brought with him. He set it on a rock and then picked it back up. He put it back down on the rock and placed another, smaller rock on it. He shook his head and picked it up again.

"What if it rains?!" Logan asked himself out loud.

Logan really must be nervous.

"It's not going to rain, idiot!" He muttered to himself. "It's the middle of Summer!" Logan replaced the paper.

About three seconds, he took the paper back. He untied the ribbon and read through whatever was on the paper quickly. He groaned.

"Oh God, he's going to think I'm an idiot!" Logan sighed and pulled a fountain pen out of his pocket. He sat down on the rock and scribbled something out. "There!"

Logan's smile faded. He groaned again and rolled the paper up. "You're an idiot, you're an idiot, you're an idiot." He muttered as he tied the ribbon back around the paper. "Just give him the letter! Yes, good idea. Just give him the..." Logan trailed off and let out an annoyed scream.

"Whatever, whatever, whatever, whatever!" He set the paper down and placed the rock over it again. "I don't care! I do not care. So there!" He turned on his heel and stormed away. From where Pat was, it looked like Logan was blushing.

Pat waited until he couldn't see Logan anymore before scrambling down the tree. Logan had left the scroll of paper where they always met up.

Pat probably shouldn't look. Logan might've left it there for all sorts of reasons. It probably wasn't-

Pat

That was Pat's name on the letter. Obviously. Obviously it was. Jesus, was it normal for the world to seem this bright?

Pat picked up the letter carefully. Some of the ink had bled through the paper, leaving a little black smudge on the ribbon but Pat couldn't see anything beyond that.

Carefully, he undid the ribbon and pocketed it. Maybe it would make a nice belt for a doll's dress. Then, he opened the letter.

Dear Pat,

God, this feels stupid. You're probably going to think I'm an idiot for writing to your instead of just talking to you like a normal person but anyway.

Remember my betrothed? Yes, they think they've found him. I highly doubt it, I don't think the prince will be found unless he wants to be, but I have to go to the castle by law. It's ridiculous, I know. In fact, by the time you read this, I should be at the castle. If I haven't thrown a huge fit like I'm oft to do.

The thing is, I don't want to meet my betrothed. Not anymore. It feels weird. It doesn't feel right. I don't... care about them and I know it sounds awful and selfish and everything but it's the truth.

I don't care about them. Not the way I care about myself or Oscar or you.

And here was something scribbled out. Completely blotted out so Pat couldn't even try decipher it.

I want to run away. With you. Or at least pretend to. I don't like it here. Being passed around, treated like a trading chip, it can get too much.

Of course, we don't have to run away right now. You don't even have to join me. I know you're only 13 and your family loves you a lot and I have no right asking you to leave them for me but... I don't know, Pat, I just want to see you more.

I'm leaving in three years, anyway. So even if you refuse, we still have three years together, don't we? My betrothed is supposed to turn 16 in almost exactly three years so that's when I'm leaving. It makes me sound like a terrible coward but I can't face it anymore. I just can't.

If you never want to see me again after this or something along those lines, I completely understand.

Yours sincerely,
Logan

We got there! But at what cost? Also, HOW ARE THESE KIDS STILL SO YOUNG, LIKE JESUS CHRIST-
Bye,
Blaize