Chapter 58

Pat slipped the letter carefully into his trouser pocket. If he could get to Logan, he'd give the letter to him tonight. If not, he'd just have to wait. But, by the looks of things, it was going to rain in a couple of days.

Right now it was clear and bright and all the stars in the whole universe seemed to be twinkling down over the little cottage. But tomorrow? Who knows.

Pat ran down the stairs, making sure to make enough noise to alert his family sitting in the dining room. They always had a 'mother's meeting' (as his Dada called it, only to then be playfully punched by his Papa) around the table after he'd gone up to bed.

"Hey, Pat." His Papa said in surprise. "Where're you going?"

Pat rocked back on his heels. "I was wondering if I could go star-gazing? Alone?"

His Papa shared a look with Uncle Remus and his Dada. "Pat-"

"I wouldn't be long, I promise!" Pat interrupted quickly. "Only a couple of hours. And I'd bring a lantern and I wouldn't talk to anyone and I'd make sure to keep warm and- and- and, um..." he pushed his glasses up his nose and glanced up nervously. "It's just such a beautiful night and Summer's nearly over and I just thought, you know, before the pine cones close... yeah." Pat winced. He'd probably blown it.

Uncle Remus glanced at him and the question was clear. This is just for that prince, isn't it? Pat winced again and shrugged slightly. Uncle Remus sighed and turned to his brother and Virgil.

"Ro?" He asked. "I think the kid should go but what d'you think? You're his guardian."

Pat blinked at Remus. Half of him wanted to ask. Half of him knew he probably wouldn't get a straight answer.

"It's late." Virgil said to Pat. "How long do you plan to be out?"

Pat shrugged, trying to do the Maths in his head. If he ran, he could probably be in Aristal in about half an hour. That would leave about an hour to find the palace, find Logan, meet Logan. And then half an hour to get back.

"Two hours?" He guessed. "Please?"

Virgil sighed. "Love?" He asked Roman. "Your call."

Roman made a face that showed he'd rather be doing anything than deciding this right now. "I think..." He paused. "I think as long as you don't go too far, Pat, I don't see why you can't. No one ever comes into the woods at night and-"

"As long as you don't go beyond the river-" Virgil cut in.

"Yeah, as long as that, you should be fine." Roman said. "Just take a lantern and be wary."

Pat grinned so large it felt like his face was going to split open. He grabbed a lantern and hurriedly pulled on his shoes.

"Ah, take a coat." Virgil said, half standing only to be tackled back to his seat by Pat's clumsy hug.

"Okay, okay." Pat slung his coat over his arm and lit the candle in the lantern. "Thank you. Bye!"

Pat reached the market place quicker than he'd expected. He'd never seen the market so quiet. Stalls were all boxed up for the night, like they'd been tucked up in bed to sleep, candles were lit in the lamps, the streets were bare.

The houses so often hidden by crowds were shuttered, golden candle light shining through the curtains and wooden shutters. Stars winked down at Pat but less than there had been in the clearing.

Pat had never lived in a town. He'd never seen a town at night. It was rather peaceful. Almost like the forest, if the forest was made of cobbles and bricks.

Slowly, Pat pivoted around in the centre of the market place. Palace, palace... Where was the palace?

Ah ha! Big white-and-grey building at the top of a hill. Must be it. It looked like a castle Pat had seen in his story books and even from where he was stood, Pat could see the glow of the candles and hear the chatter of voices.

The festival was in full swing and Pat couldn't wait.

Wow, we've taken a dive back into Cinderella. Huh...
Bye,
Blaize