Chapter Three: Missions and Tasks

So, two things have happened lately but I'll be quick about the first one. The first one is that Starscream has left the Decepticons and we can't find him. The second one is that we found a power source but the Autobots are fighting us for it. And that's what's happening right now. Megatron gave me a chance to lead this mission and safe to say I have no idea how well it's going. I'm with a few troopers, the medic, Knockout, and his assistant Breakdown.

This was also my first time fighting a bot that was ten times bigger than me which the training Megatron gave me has really come in handy. I'm almost winning. Keyword: Almost. Everyone was trying to grab the cylinder the power source was in but none of us could even lay a finger on it. Well, at least I thought so. I didn't see what happened but suddenly the cylinder started making a noise and the power inside of it left the cylinder. I don't know if it was lucky or not that one of the Autobots, Bulkhead, got in the way and it zapped him.

That gave Knockout enough time to take it and we ran through the groundbridge Soundwave sent for us. I've learned a lot more about Cybertron and its equipment to know what most of it is. But I think all that hard work was for nothing. Knockout and Breakdown scanned the cylinder but now there was no energy in it. They reluctantly told Megatron who definitely wasn't pleased with the news.

"What do you mean, it's empty?" Megatron asked us

"Lord Megatron, these cylinders are not unlike batteries," Knockout said, "The data is stored within them as a form of energy. It scanned fully charged, that's how we located it to begin with. But now," Knockout pressed it only for it to sizzle

"Dead battery," Breakdown said

"Did you drop it, you one-eyed oaf?!" Megatron asked Breakdown

"No, master. I wasn't gonna touch the thing after it put the zap on Bulkhead."

"Hey, you think...?" I asked

"I know. And I must find out what that vessel contained. When it comes to the secrets of the ancients, knowledge can be power," Megatron said

Okay, so I messed up my first mission. That makes me feel like a good pet, doesn't it? I said I'd get it for him but I just brought back an empty can. I obviously apologized for the failure but Megatron let it slide saying that it was my first mission which doesn't always mean you get it right. So I have more chances. But why is he trusting me on my own almost over a month since he tamed me? I didn't ask because I didn't want to question his ways. But I'm happy to say he gave me some chicken for at least bringing the cylinder back.

Well, this is a success to me if I get chicken! A few hours after the failed mission, Knockout and Breakdown came to us explaining that the same energy that should be in the cylinder had been detected again. Bulkhead must have left the Autobot base. Knockout and Breakdown offered to go get it but Megatron wasn't allowing that. He decided to go instead and left me in charge. I feel like he's giving me a lot more responsibilities than I'm supposed to have.

I thought I was just his pet. So, I stayed on the ship and monitored things. But I had to contact him about something I found on the scanners not long after. It was the same energy source but it was at a monster truck rally. But I want to make sure this isn't some kind of trap first, that's why I contacted Megatron.

"Lord Megatron," I said over my comm, "Did you find what you were looking for?"

'It's complicated,' Megatron replied

"Well, I may have located the bogey, fully charged."

'Proceed.'

"Just one hitch; We don't have the cylinder."

'Then tell Knockout and Breakdown bring me the head of Bulkhead.'

So, that's what I did and I was in the dark from there. All three of them came back but they didn't have the data. Another failed mission. But Megatron didn't tell me off for it, he told off Knockout and Breakdown for failing him on getting the data and Bulkhead's head. He didn't include me because I was the one who gave the order. Well, after that, I was tasked with tracking more Energon for the Decepticons. So, I would be sent to a random location with some Energon and would be asked to sniff out new sources.

Over the next few weeks, I found only small sources of Energon deposits. One resulted in most of the troopers getting beaten up by what seemed to be a new Autobot and the other resulted in a Decepticon Miner coming back injured. Who is this new bot that seems to be killing everyone off? But I think I'm starting to disappoint Megatron with my recent Energon finds. I found a whole cave full but it's not as much as Megatron wanted. He took Knockout and me into a separate cavern where he expressed his anger. Specifically on me.

"You call yourself a tracker? You were supposed to have located a fresh Energon source by now!" Megatron said to me as my ears and tail flattened down in shame

"Apologies, Lord Megatron, but we got a little distracted by the new Autobot who attacked us," I said as my only defense

"Really? And what new Autobot would that be?"

Speaking of, that Autobot came in with Breakdown but he fell to the ground. He defeated Breakdown, of all bots? 

"Well, uh..." Knockout stuttered

"That is your fearsome new adversary?" Megatron laughed, "He's Optimus Prime's medic."

"Oh, no, Megatron. I am your doctor of doom," The Medic said

Oh, this must be Ratchet! But, he never leaves the base. What's happened to him that he's suddenly out and killing all our bots? Ratchet ran forward and punched Megatron in the face actually being able to make him fly into a wall and draw some Energon. That was unexpected. Not even I can do that yet. Ratchet tried to punch him again but Megatron caught his hand and twisted it the wrong way causing him to call out in pain.

"Ratchet is rather more spirited than I recollect," Megatron said

"Chemical enhancement, perhaps?" Knockout asked

Still holding onto Ratchet, Megatron made a fist and plunged it into Ratchet's chest. It caused a massive dent and a lot of Energon which I noticed was green and not blue. Megatron threw him to the ground as Ratchet just laid in a pool of his own Energon. I could smell the stuff from where I was and it stinks. And not in a good way. I couldn't even begin to describe it even if I could. 

"There's your laboratory sample, doctor. Find out. If a chemical can do this for Optimus Prime's lapdog," Megatron chuckled, "imagine what it could do for our troops."

And he left with me following behind. I just want to be away from the smell. Normal Energon smells like sweet stuff and just like something I'd want to eat but I can't because it's bad for humans. That green stuff is just awful. Though I wish I could say Megatron smelled like the normal stuff. He will sometimes have this sent of dead bodies or rotting carcasses but it's not there all the time. Just occasionally. I need to know more about the different kinds of Energon to identify them by smell. But I was soon taken off Energon tracking duty for a while as Megatron started to get desperate for a different kind of Energon that I couldn't find.