You Have No Right

I didn’t tell anyone. How could I? When my parents came back, they didn’t even seem to notice I was either at school or the house. I avoided the barn as much as possible. I had avoided Liam before, so I knew I could pull it off. It didn’t make it any easier. I wished Saturday night had never happened. I wished I hadn’t been so stupid, so caught up in his gaze. I wished we could just go back to being best friends, even though I knew that would never happen.

  Saturday was it. Whatever friendship I thought we had was over; just like that. I knew it wouldn’t be fair to Liam to be my friend. The last thing I wanted was to hurt him.

  He loved me.

  Just thinking that made my stomach queasy and my heart a little sick. I didn’t love him; not the way he said he loved me. I didn’t even know what love was. I was seventeen, for crying out loud! The last thing I needed was for my childhood friend being in love with me.

  Almost a week had passed. I missed him instantly, even though he was right outside the door, waiting for me to change my mind; which I never would.

  I just felt so awful about kissing him back. It literally made me a little sick inside.

  Once my dad asked why I was being so gloomy. I blamed it on the weather; ironically, it had rained a lot that week. Liam never skipped a day coming to the barn, though. In the mornings I’d see that white pick up and when I got back from school it’d still be there for a few more hours.

  One day at school, Lulu confronted me about my mood. “Are you upset ‘cause Liam and Tanya are back together? Cause if you are, dude, you already told me that you—”

  “What?” I snapped. It was the first I’d heard of them being back together.

  Lulu blinked at me, her fork suspended in front of her mouth. She put it down and leaned forward, her eyes narrowed in confusion. “You mean you didn’t hear? Man, you have really been outta whack this week!”

  If I’d felt sick before, I felt doubly sick now. “When did they get back together?” I asked, trying to make my voice steady and emotionless.

  Lulu shrugged. “Apparently Monday. Or somewhere around there. I just can’t believe you didn’t know.”

  I shook my head, a little dazed. “No. I didn’t know at all.”

  So that was just great. I didn’t work out, so he just moved on with Tanya two days later. Did he even love me? Or was he just screwing with me? I never would I have thought this of him. But apparently I didn’t know him as well as I thought I did.

  He was Little Liam anymore.

  Even though I was in a rush to get out of school, I caught the look Tanya threw at me. She was standing with her friends, gossiping, no doubt. As soon as she saw me, her smile turned fox like and her eyes screamed “Haha, I got what I wanted”. I got my ass out of there.

  I was such a mess of emotions, I didn’t even know what I felt. I mean, I was acknowledging the fact that I had said no, and yet…..it hurt me that he would go back to her. He obviously didn’t care about her, from all he’d told me of their relationship. Was he that shallow? Or was he really trying to hurt me? The thought of him doing this just to hurt me pissed me off, but at the same time made me a little broken inside.

  Maybe that was why I slammed on the breaks and put the Suburban in Park right in front of the barn gate. I marched right down, not caring that the ends of my jeans and my Converse were get- ting covered in mud and horse shit.

  I didn’t even close the gate on my way in. At the end of the barn isle, Liam was stacking hay, a scowl on his face. I didn’t pay attention to how he was chucking the hay, slamming the bales roughly on top of eachother, rather than take his pace. I didn’t care that he was pissed. If any- thing, that made me even more pissed at him.

  I stood there, arms crossed over my chest, until he noticed me. When he went for another bale on the trailer, his eyes settled right on me. The scowl faltered just a minute. He just stood there, breathing hard, and not saying a word.

  I glared at him. “So. You’re back with Tanya, huh?” I spat bitterly.

  His eyes narrowed, brows pushing together. “Yes. I am.”

  I snorted, rolling my eyes, just so I wouldn’t have to look at him. “Well, then. That’s just great. I hope you two have a great life!” With that, I spun on my heel and started storming toward the front of the barn.

  Why’re you being so stupid?! I screamed at myself. You did this. How can you act like a jealous girlfriend when you made it crystal clear you had no intention of ever being one?

  “Hold on, wait a minute!” Liam snapped, easily catching up to me. He grabbed my hand, yanking me back to a stop. He looked really pissed now, and not just at the hay bales. His eyes bore into mine and I had to force myself to stand my ground and not flinch away.

  “Why do you even care?” he snapped.

  “I don’t,” I spat back, though my voice was tight.

  “Good.” He dropped my arm, practically threw it away like it was a snake. “Cause you made it perfectly clear, Piper, that there was never going to be a you and I. So don’t come marching in here acting all Mrs. High and Mighty. You have no say in who I date.”

  His glare lessened just a bit, but the venom was still in his voice. “I’m not gonna just sit around, twiddling my thumbs, waiting for you to change your mind. Not anymore. I’m done with that.”

  My jaw was clenched so tightly, I was beginning to get a headache. I nodded once, trying to act as though his words hadn’t pierced into me as deeply as they had. He was right, of course. I was wrong. “You don’t have to worry about me barging into this barn anymore.”

  I turned and practically ran back to the Suburban, telling myself not to cry over something I had created.

  I had hurt him. He was right. I had no right going in there with the attitude that I did.

  Somehow that made everything worse.

  But I wasn’t going to cry over another boy. I was done crying over boys.

________________________________________________________________________

A/N I'm so mad I hafta upload these all right after the other, but I'm just happy to be uploading, even if these chapters endure hard times. Oh, believe me, they're about to get worse. I'm getting to the point in this story that I don't wanna write, but it's gonna be so much fun, haha! I just gotta be heartless.

VOTES?

COMMENTS?

TTFN,

Hannah

P.S 'Pirates' upload next.