Yes or No?

“Where?”

  “Top drawer!”

  I kept digging through the top drawer for Liam’s cell phone charger. Currently, he was in the bathroom—beautifying himself!—and I volunteered to find his charger as amends to taking up the bathroom for “longer than was necessary”.

  Nothing happened last night; not even anymore kisses. And yet somehow, that was what made it so special. Being in Liam’s arms all night was better than any kind of make out session would have been—although that wouldn’t have sucked, either. Aunt Kim looked a little surprised to see me last night, but didn’t condone it, either.

  Uncle Curtis, however, said something along the lines of “just a sleep over”. To this, Liam and I both assured them Liam was making a floor bed—he did, he just didn’t sleep in it.

  It was as I was digging around for the charger that I found it. It was kind of hard not to notice, being bright orange construction paper and all. So there lies the meaning in my just having to flip the folded paper open to see what it was; obviously not the charger.

  I heard the bathroom door open, but I still couldn’t stop staring at the paper with a kid’s handwriting. “Find it?” Liam asked.

  I turned with a broad smile, the note still in my hands. “When did you write this?”

  Liam glanced at the note and is eyes got wide with recognition, cheeks flecked with an adorable shade of pink. I tried to think if I had ever seen Liam blush before, but I didn’t think I had. He scratched the back of his head, chuckling nervously. “Yeah, um….That was a long time ago….”

  I took a step toward him, my smile never faltering. “How long ago?”

  Liam’s eyes flittered to everything in the room, but he wouldn’t meet my eyes. “Um….I think I was eight? It, uh….was just before you moved, actually.”

  “Is that why you never gave it to me?”

  With a resigned sigh, Liam finally looked at me, heartbreakingly adorable while embarrassed. “I found out the day I was gonna give it to you.”

  My heart did that funny leap again. I couldn’t stop smiling, though. “I never got one of these…I would have liked it.”

  Liam raised a brow. “Would you have answered it?”

  “Probably wrong,” I admitted. “I would have answered differently.”

  “How would you have answered?”

  “Well, where’s a pen?”

  Liam’s eyes got wide again and he shook his head. “Oh, no, Piper, I didn’t mean—”

  I laughed. “You afraid, cowboy?”

  He swallowed, but didn’t answer.

  So I realized Liam was, in fact, afraid of my answer. I could have just told him what I would check, but I wanted to answer a ‘check-yes-or-no’ note. It was just too damn cute. Liam reminded me so much of the kid he used to be how he was shuffling his feet nervously and not making eye contact. It was the sweetest thing in the world to me. How could he think I would make fun of it? I was really touched.

  I snatched a pen off his dresser. “Turn around.”

  Liam gave me a pained sort of look. “Really, Piper. It’s stupid. You don’t hafta—”

  “Don’t you ruin this by saying it’s stupid,” I scolded teasingly. “Seriously. Turn.”

  With a groan, Liam turned his back.