Nice, but Definitely Not Liam

It was pretty much decided my mom was gonna need a lot of help with the twins. To say my dad was excited would be a major understatement. And I have to gloat a little bit on my behalf; I never got one twinge of jealousy. Maybe it wouldn’t last, but for now I was actually happy at the prospect of two siblings, and I was even more happy for my parents.

  But for the next seven months at least, I was not yet a sister. So I could do whatever I wanted.

  Kyle called me yesterday after me and my mom got back from her doctor’s appointment. He asked if we were ever going to go out again. I had to glance out the window and see that damned truck before I could say yes; but I got to pick the place.

  I didn’t get dressed up; a simple white No Doubt T-shirt, black skinny jeans, with my hair in a ponytail. I was, as per usual, meeting him at the place. Call me crazy, but I had an itch to skate, and I hadn’t been to the ‘We Skate Center’ since I was seven years old. Aside from the fact that Kyle would be there, I was really excited to be going. I mean, when we were kids, Liam and I would always……

  I shook the thought away. Liam was not getting in my head today. It was bad enough I had that weird dream about him yesterday. What did that mean, anyway? I mean….having dreams about a boy you know is kinda….

  Nope. I’m not thinking about Li…..about He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

  I pulled into the parking lot of the skate center with a broad smile on my face. It hadn’t changed one bit, although I heard it was under new ownership. Thank God, too, cause the old owner had it in for me and…..Had it in for me.

  Kyle’s little red sports car was already parked at the front and he stayed leaned against the driver’s side, baggy jeans, muscle shirt and all.

  My smile faltered. I wished so much that…..someone else was here with me, and not Kyle. It felt disrespectful to be bringing someone else here…..

  I shoved the thoughts away and stepped out of my car, casually strolling over to Kyle. “You made it.”

  “Yeah.” Kyle glanced at the building and made a face. “Wouldn’t miss it.”

  I shoved his shoulder on my way passed him. “C’mon. You’re just afraid of my mad skating skills.”

  “I’m actually more afraid that the building’ll come down on top of us…”

  “Stop. You’re pissin’ me off already.”

  Kyle smirked. “Oh, I am, am I?”

  I hadn’t actually meant to say it aloud, but now it was out there. “Yeah. I said it. Now just…let it lie.”

  “Well, this building pisses me off. See what I did there? I didn’t let it lie.”

  I whirled around, my hand on the handle. I just stared at him.

  “What?” he said with a smirk and shrug.

  “Please don’t tell me…..You’ve seen When Harry Met Sally?”

  Kyle snorted, coming around me to open the door. “Hasn’t everyone?”

  “Yeah, but…..”

  “For a guy like me to have seen it is shocking?” he finished for me. “You underestimate me, Piper.”

  I blinked up at him, slowly grinning. I mean, he held the door open for me. “Maybe,” I muttered, mostly to myself.

  We went in, paid for our skates, and then got our sizes. The skates were old and worn, the laces frayed and different from the other skate’s. But that was kinda the magical thing about this place. It wasn’t as old as it used to look. They got rid of the Big Bertha game—involving a scary fat woman with her mouth open so you can throw balls into it—and replaced the other old games with new ones. Everything looked….clean.