A Little Late To Chill

It wasn't that I cared that he-who-shall-not-be-named wasn't even trying anymore-no Facebook, blessed be, email, or phone calls-but it just made me madder. It made me think of breakups. And who the hell wants a breakup over the phone? You can't tell if the person on the other end is lying, cause you can't see their face. Maybe a webcam breakup? That'd be great......if I had a webcam.

  He-who-shall-not-be-named used to be a nice guy, though. I guess it was the used-to-be-nice-guy I knew that was keeping me from purchasing a webcam.

  To keep myself from overanalyzing-was I overreacting?-I busied myself with homework.....Not that I understood a single bit of what my chemistry book was screaming out at me. I fell asleep twice after only five out of twenty-two pages of the chapter. I couldn't even tell you what I read-a lot to do with hydrogen and the mathematical way to pair H2SO4 and O2 together. In other words, complete and utter bore.

  My reading assignment wasn't going that well, either. Great Expectations. It wasn't so much that I didn't like Charles Dickens as it was that basically nothing was happening yet. I was only on chapter seven; after the convict gets caught. An yeah, I knew the convict was important, I've seen the movie. Well, I mean....not that you should rely on the '99 adaptation of the book. At all. Ethan Hawke is gorgeous and everything, but that hair? And the whole sensitive painter thing didn't do it for me. I much preferred him in Reality Bites.

  My writing assignment, however, was going great. Who knew Liam could take up three pages of my spiral note book?

  Then I was done with homework and finally able to run down to the barn. I was spending a lot of time down there; my excuse, of course, the horses. Liam surprised me by not being in the barn this time. Instead he was successfully in the round pen lunging Terry. Now why was it he didn't get rope burn? Jerk.

  I just watched him outside the gate for a minute. He had a way with horses, I had to admit. The way he slowly moved in a circle while Terry ran around him, his eyes watching solely the little blue Rhone, it was hypnotizing. I was getting dizzy, watching the two of them.

  I whistled loudly through my fingers-yeah, I could do that. Liam looked up, his eyes not even glancing around for me. He just looked up and immediately found me. He smiled before stopping Terry with a deep and gentle "whoa".

  "How's the training going?" I called.

  "Well, get your skinny Arizona butt over here an find out," he called back.

  I rolled my eyes, laughing as I did just that. "You know, I don't think Terry likes me very much."

  "Maybe it's cause ya gave him a girl name," Liam muttered, petting Terry's flank.

  "Haha."

  "Seriously, get your butt in here. You're not afraid of him now, are you?"

  Determined to set him straight, I climbed over the gate and jumped into the round pen. All without falling on my skinny, Arizona butt! "See?"

  "Not impressed."

  I frowned, crossing my arms. "Why not?"

  "C'mere."

  I shook my head. "Nope. He can come to me this time."

  "Well," Liam said in amusement. "If ya want that, then turn around."

  "Excuse me?"

  Liam twirled his finger. "Turn your back to him."

  "To you more like."