It Makes Me Happy....Dr.

I smiled, lingering at the gate a minute just to watch. Liam didn’t notice me as he worked with Terry. The colt didn’t even flinch when the saddle pad was put on his back. He did, however, put up quite the fuss when Liam was putting the bridle on. He wasn’t ready to be ridden yet, but he still had to know the feel of a saddle on his back and the pull of a bit on his mouth.

  “Hey, sexy,” I ventured to call out.

  Liam turned and, seeing me, smiled in earnest. I was so happy to see him smiling again. He raised his brows. “I hope you’re not talkin’ ‘bout the horse.”

  “I haven’t seen the horse without his shirt on.” I looked at Terry. “No offense, of course.”

  Liam looked back at Terry but said to me, “I knew that whole scared of a thunderstorm was just an excuse.”

  I sighed, pulling the gate open. “You caught me.” I laughed. As I got to the round pen, I said, “FYI, though, I really was scared.”

  Liam mumbled a, “Mhm.”

  I rolled my eyes. It was weird, coming down to the barn. Even with Liam there I still felt sad. I guess a part of me would always be sad. At least I was past the feeling of not being able to stop crying.

  I walked into the round pen and, reaching up on my tippy toes, pecked Liam’s cheek. “Lemme try.” He still couldn’t get the bridle on.

  For a minute, Liam just looked down at me, smiling.

  Finally I said, “What?”

  He shook his head, handing me the bridle. “Nothin’.”

  I rolled my eyes at him and put my hand in between Terry’s ears and pressed down. It took the little guy a second, but he finally lowered his head a fraction.

  “If you get that on him, I’m gonna be pissed.”

  I shushed Liam. Terry would let me put the bridle on. He fought me for a minute, pulling his head up, but after a few tries he figured out I wasn’t giving in, and so he let me plop the bit in the rest of the way; even if his head shot up right afterward. The trouble he gave me was putting his ears in the headpiece.

  “Help,” I grunted as my arms began to ache.

  Liam’s hands rested over mine, sending a jolt of electricity shooting up my arms, and gently took the bridle.

  I pulled my hands away and crossed my arms over my chest, slyly rubbing the goose bumps away.

  It took one shooting up of the head before Liam fully got the bridle on Terry. He turned to me, smirking. “There, a perfect tie for first. You got the bit, I got the head set.”

  I rolled my eyes. “Oh, brother. You’re such a goob.” I walked back out of the round pen, even though what I wanted to do was throw myself at Liam and kiss him until we were both breathless. This constant giddy feeling was so new, and I didn’t wanna hold back anymore. I could tell Liam didn’t, either.

  “How long before you get to ride him?” I asked, desperately trying not to stare at his ass.

  Liam shrugged, turning around. Damn. “Bout another four months or so.”

  I swallowed tightly. Ugh, I wanted that boy so bad, and all we were doing was tip toeing around eachother. Was this how he felt around me all that time? Yearning yet hesitant? It was maddening!

  “Cool,” was the most intelligible thing that came out of my mouth at the moment.

  I think Liam knew exactly what I was thinking, because he kept smirking at me. What a tease! This was his payback. So not cool, boy. Not cool.