If You're Gonna be My Girlfriend

I never told Liam about my little chat with Tanya, nor did I tell him how Lulu seriously bruised her jaw.

  This was all well and good, especially since he was s’posed to be coming up and helping me make breakfast for my mom. She was at another doctor’s appointment and I made the decision to have something ready for her when she got home. It was either that or joke down eggs with pepperchinis in them. That was her craving; eggs with basically anything in them.

  I took the four tubes of instant biscuits out of the freezer and set them on the countertop to thaw a minute while I searched for the gravy packets. Hopefully she’d eat biscuits and gravy with eggs on the side. I was also hoping that if I made her normal eggs, she might decide that she liked them better. But who knows, right?

  The front door opened and by the loud thump of my heart I knew it was Liam.

  “In the kitchen!” I hollered. “I hope you know how to make gravy, cause I sure as hell don’t.”

  “I’m a country boy,” Liam answered, coming into the kitchen. “Of course I know how to make gravy.”

  I shot him a look. “Haha. Put your money where your mouth is.”

  “You know, I never really understood that expression.”

  I opened my mouth to explain it to him, but nothing came out. “Huh. You know something? Neither do I. It’s right up there with ‘when in Rome’.”

  “No, that one I get.” He laughed, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek—how insulting!—before taking the gravy packets out of my hand.

  “Hey.” I grabbed the tail end of his shirt and gave him a scolding look. “That’s the best I get?”

  Liam grinned before dipping his head to give me a real good-morning kiss.

  He started to pull away, but I yanked him back. “I’m not done with you yet,” I murmured through his lips.

  Liam groaned. “Piper. I can’t do this all day, as much as I’d liked to.”

  I looked up at him with my best puppy dog eyes. “Why not?”

  He raised a brow and smirked widely. “Work, darlin’.”

  I shrugged. “I happen to know your boss, and he never goes down there to see if you did your job. So what if one brush stays on the ground?”

  Liam rolled his eyes, pulling back to grab a large pan. “You’re something else, Piper.”

  I grinned brightly. “Why thank you, sir!”

  “Yeah, yeah. Fix your biscuits.”

  I laughed softly, grabbing on of the instant biscuit tubes. I started to tear it off just a little bit, but then the damn thing exploded. I jumped back with a startled cry, having flung the rest of the tube away from me.

  Liam burst out laughing. “What the hell did you do?”

  I stared, open mouthed, at the in half tube and then at Liam. “I don’t know….I was just tearing it open and then it…..exploded….”

  “Did you put it in the fridge?”

  I shook my head. “No, I put it in the freezer.”

  Liam lips twitched as he tried not to laugh. “Well, that would explain it. You’re not s’posed to put ‘um in the freezer when you’re gonna use ‘um right away.”

  “Well, you know what? I don’t normally do the cooking. So there!”

  “I completely believe you on that one.”