The Not So Starry Night

A/N THE PROM CHAPTER!!!! You ready for this?

   So now the other girls knew that I knew Liam. Thankfully, they kept their mouths shut about it, acting as if nothing happened. As if I hadn’t called him a horny bastard and then basically called him mine in one shot.

  Luckily, they seemed to forget about it in the rush of prom week. Adrianne’s aunt used to do makeup for celebrities and models so we were heading over to her house after we all got our hair done.

  It took forever to find a picture of the back of Hermoine’s hair, and all I found was a decent side shot. Luckily, my hairdresser, Tabitha, was a Harry Potter nerd, so she knew exactly what I wanted.

  My mom had gone with me and was shooting the breeze about how awesome prom is. It was pretty amusing to be in my seat, listening to my mom and Tabitha swap prom stories. At her junior prom, Mom had gone with Tyler Moore, a boyfriend who never lasted long after prom. Tabitha had gone solo, like me; even if she went with her now-husband for her senior prom.

   My hair, being longer than hers, looked even better than Hermoine’s had.

  Mom said she wanted to take pictures and see me when I was all done, so she said to make sure and come back to the house after I got my makeup done.

  At Gladis’s, Adrianne’s aunt, I was beginning to feel like a fifth wheel. The girls were talking ecstatically about their dates. Eventually, Gladis asked me who I was going with and I had to, once again, explain I was flying solo.

  Gladis tsked. “Pretty girl like you? You must have had to turn down many boys.”

  I smiled politely and shook my head. “Oh, no. No one asked me.”

  Gladis raised a brow. “Then they’re stupid. You’re gonna be havin’ many dance proposals as soon as you walk through that door.”

  I doubted that.

  Gladis really was the best. Adrianne had dark ruby lips and black lined cat eyes. Kass went for the softer approach. Her eyes popped, but you could hardly see her makeup and she kept her lips lightly glossed. Maddie had dark eyes and dark lips. Gladis kept me to light silvers but darkened my lashes to a glam look and finished with soft pinkish purple lipstick.

  Of us all, though, Lulu looked the best. Normally she kept her black liner heavy and wore no other makeup but that.

  Her blonde hair was in curls so tight her hair lifted off her bare shoulders. She had pale blue eyeshadow and gold liner, making her eyes stand out beautifully. She looked so beautiful. Cameron would be giving her his heart before long.

  Everyone beamed at her.

  “Lulu…” I searched for the right words. “You look beautiful.”

  The rest of the girls gave similar compliments and no sarcastic comments were made. She would be the center of attention tonight. Cameron better hold onto her tight.

  Lulu waved us all off. “Shut up, already and let me pay compliments!” She turned to me first and shook her head. “I know this might not wanna be what you wanna hear, but you are some southern beauty, Piper.”

  I smiled. “You think?”

  She nodded. “Definitely.”

  She gave everyone categories—Adrianne got vampire princess, Kass the saucy under the sea queen, and Maddie tropical goddess. We called her the ice queen. It wasn’t very original, but definitely fitting.